Sacred Heart School (Launceston)
The Sisters of the Presentation of the Blessed Virgin Mary (Presentation Order) began their mission teaching at Sacred Heart College, Launceston, which was blessed and opened by Bishop Murphy on 28 January 1873 in a Henry Hunter-designed convent and school. For some years the Sisters taught both girls and boys, including secondary education. The Sisters maintained a connection with the school until 2003.
In 1978, Sacred Heart College and the Presentation Sisters responded to the growing needs of the Catholic community and entered into an amalgamation with St Thomas More's School, Newstead. For six years the schools, renamed Marian College, continued to minister to the needs of Launceston's Catholic girls. Following further restructuring of secondary education, this school became a girls' primary school in 1984, returning to the historic patronage of the Sacred Heart. In 1987, St Patrick's Preparatory School (boys, Grade 3-6) joined with Sacred Heart School (co-educational to Grade Two, then girls only) and it continues as a co-educational primary school under lay leadership.
Further reading: Catholic Church archives, Mt St Canice, Sandy Bay.