Scotch Oakburn College
Scotch Oakburn College in Launceston is a Uniting Church boarding and day school, Early Learning to Grade 12, formed in 1979 from the amalgamation of Oakburn College and Scotch College, and dedicated to providing a co-educational, liberal, Christian education. Its foundation can be traced back to 1886. In 2004 enrolments exceeded 1030 students.
Methodist Ladies' College, opened in 1886, aimed at providing girls with the same educational advantages offered boys at Horton College, Ross. Miss Mary Fox, daughter of the headmaster of Horton College, was headmistress 1903–41, and the school prospered. It changed its name to Oakburn College in 1969, and became co-educational in 1973.
In 1901 Scotch College opened in York Street as a non-denominational boys' school, moving to Penquite Road in 1917. Becoming a private company in 1924, it grew under Headmaster William Briggs (1925–50). The Presbyterian Church assumed ownership in 1950, with the Rev Robert Dean as Principal, 1950–66. It became co-educational in 1972.
Further reading: Methodist Ladies' College, Oakburn College, Scotch–Oakburn College, Launceston, 1986; CL Speedy (ed), From these things unto greater, Launceston, 1971; K Sykes, Scotch College, Launceston, 2002.
Jo Oliver and David Morris