Macquarie Street, Hobart, in 1875, showing the building (right) which became the Tasmanian Club (ALMFA, SLT)
The Tasmanian Club was established in 1861 in Hobart by seventy gentlemen. It was founded on the 'London pattern', that is, election or exclusion of candidates by ballot. The Club was located in leased premises at Webb's (now Hadley's) Hotel from 1861 until 1873. In April 1873 the Club moved to its present location of 132 Macquarie Street. The Club building was built in the Georgian style in 1846, originally as the Derwent Bank for Captain Charles Swanston to a design of architect James Alexander Thomson.
In 1891, following outright purchase of the land and buildings, major extensions were made to the Club building, including the main dining room and accommodation. The Tasmanian Club is regarded as the 'senior gentlemen's club' of Tasmania by its interstate and overseas counterparts. It has an upper limit to membership of 400.
Further reading: F Green, The Tasmanian Club, Hobart, 1961.