Peter Lawrence Taylor (b 1927), artist, was born in Sydney and studied Art at East Sydney Technical College. He arrived in Tasmania in 1948, and was awarded the Tasmanian Sculpture Prize in 1950. He taught art at Huonville High School, and the Tasmanian School of Art from 1967 to 1977, and has since worked full time on his own practice. Drawing inspiration from the landscape and history surrounding him, he had successful exhibitions in Sydney and Brisbane. A series of commissions permitted experiments in large scale, media and concept. Peter's ability to imaginatively and sensitively meld diverse media allowed for expansive and speculative pursuits in a three-dimensional format. In 1988 he completed the glass and myrtle Australian Coat of Arms for the Senate of Parliament House, Canberra.
Further reading: K Scarlett, Australian sculptors, Melbourne, 1980.
Deborah St Leger