Undated postcard of Ulverstone (Tasmaniana Library, SLT)
Ulverstone, a north-west coastal town situated on the Leven River, is the business and residential centre of an agricultural district. Prior to European settlement, Aborigines from the North tribe frequented the area. Earlier names of the area were Cotton and Badger Plains. A timber industry developed in the 1840s, and as the timber was removed, agriculture was established. Although Ulverstone was officially gazetted in 1861, its foundation dates back to 1852 with the first recorded sale of land in the district.
Ulverstone was linked to Launceston by rail in 1890, giving a boost to farming and a steady growth in population. The rich volcanic soil and heavy rainfall provide suitable conditions for agricultural pursuits. A light industrial area has developed on the eastern side of the town. Dominating the town is Ulverstone's Shrine of Remembrance, constructed in 1954.
Further reading: Let's talk about Ulverstone, c 1970, TL; Ulverstone History Museum, Ulverstone 1852–2002, Ulverstone, 2002.