Well-known Citizens of Southern Tasmania (enlarge) 1889-1890
Lithograph by Tom Midwood from the Allport Library and Museum of Fine Arts. Click on the people to find out who they are.
Individual captions from:
Craig, Clifford, More old Tasmanian prints : a companion volume to The engravers of Van Diemen’s Land and Old Tasmanian prints.Launceston [Tas.] : Foot & Playsted, 1983
1. John Callaghan, butcher, 33 Morrison Street, Hobart,.
2. Unidentified young man on a ladder marked Promotion, placed over the door marked Drafting Room, winds the clock of the Public Works Department . Titled Elevation of a Promising Draftsman.
3. William Waters Eldridge (c. 1850-1933) appointed Government Architect 1879, in private practice, Hobart 1894. He designed the Hobart Technical College. He is portrayed as a striding figure with a pair of compasses on his right.
4. Haughton Forrest (1826-1925) the most prolific local artist of his day and previously captain in the 31st Light Infantry.
5. Thomas Dewhurst Jennings (1824-90), licensee of the ‘Derwent Inn’, Risdon Ferry, and the ‘Harvest Home’, New Town Road.
6. Unidentified tall thin man with umbrella under his arm and a monocle.
7. Philip Oakley Fysh (1835-1919), established P.O. Fysh & Co., merchants. Politician – colonial, 1866-98; federal 1901-10, sometime Premier and Agent-General
8. William Duffy, appointed in 1883 as Engineer of Roads, Department of Lands and Works.
9 Alfred Page (c.1843-1911) prominent racing man and politician.
10. Bernard Shaw (1836-1910) first cousin of the famous dramatist, born at Swansea, had a long career in the Tasmanian Civil Service and served from 1886 as Commissioner of Police and Sheriff.
11. Charles Dillon (1820-1907), a well known figure on the Derwent from the mid-forties till just before his death, when he retired the oldest ferryman in Tasmania.
12. Rev. George Banks Smith (c. 1827-1902) incumbent of St. George’s church, Battery Point, 1852-1902, and the last Colonial Chaplain.
13.Unidentified elderly gentleman with flowing whiskers, an umbrella under his arm.
14. Thomas Elmslie Hewitt (1832-1911) also known as ‘Peg-leg Hewitt’ who lost a leg in an accident at twenty, became senior clerk in the Customs Department and Midwood’s father-in –law.
15. Captain Thomas Moore Fisher (1851-1909), shipowner and timber merchant (Facy & Fisher), warden and sometime master warden, Marine Board of Hobart and MLC for Huon 1905-9.
16. Bolton Stafford Bird, MHA 1882-1903, 1904-9; MLC 1909-24: CMG 1920.
17. Joseph Bidencope (c.1837-1915), tailor and hatter, founded the business which bore his name.
18. Charles Eagle Knight (1827-93) jam manufacturer, fruit exporter and hop broker, Hobart.
19. William Langford licensee of the ‘Theatre Royal” 1890.
20. William Sorell (1834-1901), son of William Sorell, Registrar of the Supreme Court and grandson of the Lieutenant - Governor. Known as ‘Quacker’.
21. Henry Hart licensee of the ‘Dr. Syntax’, Sandy Bay Road, in 1890.
22. Unidentified clerical gentleman.
23. Unidentified elderly man, his hands together as in prayer, sitting on a stool.
24. Unidentified female.
25. John George Shield (c. 1853-1926) Inspector of Public Buildings 1879 and mayor of Hobart 1918-9.
26. Unidentified man with drooping moustache.
27. Thomas Sheehy (1841-1913) legal practitioner 1865, author of Retrospect of Cricket (1870).
28. Unidentified man with cross-cut saw .
29. William John Watchorn (1855-1914) of Watchorn Bros, merchants, elected to the Marine Board of Hobart, 1885 and sometime Master Warden.
30. Unidentified seated man holding a cup captioned I.O.G.T. (Independent Order of Good Templars).
31. Unidentified ragged man striding with a stick.