Honours in recognition of her achievements include:
• Honorary Associate Life Member, British Ecological Society (1964)
• Honorary Life Member, ANZAAS (1966)
• Clive Lord Memorial Medal, the Royal Society of Tasmania (1966)
• the Australian Natural History Medallion (1976)
• Membership of the Order of Australia (1977)
• Honorary Life Member, Society for Growing Australian Plants (SGAP, now Australian Plants) (1977)
• Honorary Doctorate of Science from the University of Tasmania (1987)
• Society for Growing Australian Plants (SGAP, now Australian Plants) Australian Plants Award (1988)
• Winifred Curtis Prize (Plant Science, University of Tasmania) awarded for greatest proficiency in first year sciences. Established in 1990.
• Aspects of Tasmanian Botany: A Tribute to Winifred Curtis . M.R.Banks, S.J. Smith, A.E. Orchard & G. Kantvilas (eds), Royal Society of Tasmania (1991). “This volume is a tribute to the botanical work of Dr Winifred M. Curtis AM, work largely concerned with Tasmanian plants. Scientific and public knowledge of the Tasmanian flora has been greatly enhanced by her contributions.”
Read Winifred Mary Curtis: a biographical sketch by Gintaras Kantvilas page1, page 2, page 3, page 4, bibliography.
• Waverley Flora Park - Winifred Curtis Chair
• Mueller Award, Australian and New Zealand Association for the Advancement of Science (ANZAAS) (1995).
• Australia Day Citizen of the year, Hobart City Council (1997)
Winifred at 91 receiving her award as
Council’s Australia Day Citizen of the Year in 1997.
• Curtis Laboratory (Plant Science, University of Tasmania) - named in her honour (1998)
• Winifred Curtis Scamander Reserve. .
• Her contribution to the understanding and documenting Tasmania’s Flora was highlighted in the Centenary of Federation celebrations through ‘The Peoplescape’ exhibition in Canberra (2001).
• Honorary Life Member, Royal Society of Tasmania (2003)
• Tasmanian Honour Roll of Women (established 2005). Awarded for her contribution to botany.
Plants named in her honour:
• Richea xcurtisiae - A.M. Gray
• Epilobium curtisiae - Raven
• Viola hederacea subsp. curtisiae - L. Adams
• Epacris curtisiae - Jarman
• Winifredia sola - L.A.S.Johnston & B.Briggs
Richea ×curtisiae [herbarium specimen] named in Winifred’s honour by A.M. Gray enlarge
Richea ×curtisiae from
The Endemic Flora of Tasmania
Epacris curtisiae [herbarium specimen] named in Winifred’s honour by Jarman enlarge
Winifredia sola [herbarium specimen] named in Winifred’s honour by Laurie Johnston & Barbara Briggs (Herbarium of New South Wales). enlarge