Web conferencing allows University of Tasmania staff members to create a web room that can be used for online learning and collaboration both inside and outside of MyLO. Web conferencing connects students, lecturers and staff at their computers wherever they are located, via the Internet. Anyone with a computer and Internet access can be invited to join a web conference session, even if they are not based on campus. Participants communicate in real-time through audio, text chat and video, and interact via a shared whiteboard space. Sessions can be recorded for later viewing.
Web Conferencing at the University of Tasmania uses the Blackboard Collaborate software.
Note: For the best results you should create your web conference room within your unit. Instructions on how to do this are here: Creating and accessing web conferencing
What does web conferencing offer?
Web conferencing has a growing role in higher education, for example:
- enabling real-time online lectures, tutorials, support and group work for students in different locations;
- improving communication and community building between staff and distance students;
- allowing staff to use a virtual office to consult with students;
- involving guest speakers and external experts in lectures;
- assisting academic and support staff on different campuses in coordinating their work with students; and
- connecting staff for participation in broader professional networks.
There are two ways in which to use Blackboard collaborate within the University.
- Web conferencing is fully integrated within the MyLO environment. Staff are able to create rooms using the web conferencing tool in MyLO. Participants are able to join the room using this tool. The room will open in a new window. Any sessions which are recorded become available from within this tool for further viewing. Students cannot create online rooms themselves, but may be granted moderator status. How to create an online room can be found in this guide.
- It is also possible for a staff member to request a year long web room outside of MyLO. This will allow you engage with staff and students both within the University and users who are external to UTAS. To request this type of room you will need to fill in a form found here: web room request form
Support information and help guides can be found here: https://en-us.help.blackboard.com/Collaborate/Ultra/Moderator