This guide demonstrates how you can complete a quiz in MyLO using the secure LockDown browser Respondus. This browser prevents you from printing, copying, going to another URL, or accessing other applications during an assessment. You will need to use Respondus if you have opened a quiz in MyLO which states: "Requires Respondus LockDown Browser." Once you have downloaded the software onto your computer you can then take your quiz as per normal - it will just open in the downloaded browser. Respondus can be used with iPads- but your lecturer needs to set this up separately, so it is best to check with them before you start.
Note: It is recommended when taking a quiz using Respondus that you have a good internet connection. While tethering your phone to your laptop can be used this may cause issues with drop outs.
Before you begin
- To download the browser you have two options: Open a standard web browser (e.g. Chrome) and type the following URL into the address bar: http://www.respondus.com/lockdown/downloadc.php?id=318116101
This action will open the Respondus website. Or you can login to MyLO, access your unit and the quiz that will be using this browser and download it from there by pressing the download link:
- Take the time to watch the help video, and if you need to download the Mac version press the link to the Left. Otherwise press Install Now.
- If you are using Google Chrome the file will save to the bottom of your screen. Press on the file to open it up. Or the Respondus download will appear in Downloads folder. Locate and double click on the LockDownSFX-107-07 file.
- Select Run from the dialog box.
- Follow the prompts to install it onto your computer.
*Please note: If you are using a university computer, security settings may prevent you from downloading software on to your computer. If this is the case, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 6226 1818. In University Libraries and Labs, Respondus should already be available for students to use.
- Once Respondus has been successfully installed on your computer, close all programs.
- Log into MyLO. Navigate to your unit and then access the Quizzes tool from the navbar. Enter into the quiz you need to complete. All quizzes that use Respondus will have Respondus LockDown Browser in the title:
- Press on Launch LockDown Browser to begin the quiz.
- If prompted, either close a blocked program (e.g. screen capture, instant messaging) by selecting Yes. Or, exit the LockDown Browser and close the blocked program before reopening the Lockdown Browser software again.
- For more information on how to complete a quiz, please visit the Quiz – accessing and submitting student guide.
Important: Once a quiz has been started with the LockDown Browser, you cannot exit until the Submit Quiz button is selected, or you are given a password to do so.
- Some quizzes might also require the use of Respondus Monitor within a Quiz. This means that you will need to use a Webcam and microphone, and you will be recorded while you sit your sit your quiz.
- If your quiz requires the use of a webcam, you will be guided through a brief set of screens prior to the start of the quiz.
- If conducting your quiz on a University Library or lab machine you can turn on the integrated webcam on the PC. If you need assistance with ths please contact the Service Desk.
- The first screen is a webcam check, where you can make sure the webcam is working properly.
- Additional steps may be required by your Lecturer, such as showing your ID card or recording a brief video of your setting. These steps will occur before the quiz begins.
- Once the quiz has been started the following restrictions are in place:
- Quizzes are displayed full-screen and cannot be minimized.
- Quizzes cannot be exited until submitted by students for grading.
- Task switching or access to other applications is prevented.
- Print, Print Screen and capturing functions are disabled.
- Copying and pasting anything to and from a quiz is prohibited.
- Screen capture, messaging and screen-sharing is disabled.
- Virtual machine and network monitoring applications are blocked from running.
- Right-click menu options and function keys are disabled.
- Browser menu and toolbar options are disabled, except for Back, Forward, Refresh and Stop.
- Once you have submitted the quiz, you will be able to exit the Respondus program.