If you are seeking to advance your career opportunities, your salary and your competitive advantage in the job market, then undertaking the MBA is a wise investment in your professional and personal future. The MBA will equip you with knowledge and understanding of key business operations and current trends in leadership and management - both strategic and operational - and will enable you to successfully assume a range of high level leadership roles within your organisation. You will be capable of:
- planning and managing in the complex and turbulent national and international business environments,
- demonstrating a high level of analytical, problem solving and communication skills;
- creatively, innovatively and ethically seeking new business opportunities;
- understanding and adopting ethical, socially responsible and sustainable practices;
- acting as an agent of change in organisational transformation; and
- if graduating from a specialised MBA, demonstrating knowledge in that specialised field.
The University of Tasmania MBA is highly regarded for its relevance to industry, its innovative specialisations, its flexible delivery and ease of access. Taught by leading academics, and visiting practitioners from industry, the courses can be taken on campus, by distance, during semester, intensively over the summer, part-time or full-time, or any combination of these alternatives.
The University of Tasmania offers the following traditional and specialised MBA programs:
The following introductory paragraphs illustrate the range of traditional and specialised sector-aligned MBA programs available at the University of Tasmania. Clicking on the heading of each will take you to further key information about each one.
Want to find out more? Call 13UTAS or apply now at: www.utas.edu.au/admissions
The MBA is suitable for people already in positions of responsibility and possessing higher level leadership and management potential, or those who aspire to senior management roles. It will deliver a strong foundation in the core aspects of management at both operational and strategic levels, increasing students' knowledge of business and providing them with a competitive advantage in their career.
"I really value the discussions I have with the other professionals in my class, and the networks I've built, and I am able to apply the things I learn directly to my work."Andre Pratama,
Student, Master of Business Administration
Mechanical Project Engineer
BHP Billiton (TEMCO)
This program combines all the subjects of a traditional MBA with a strong maritime and logistics focus. It is intended for those already employed in the fast-growing maritime or transport industries, or those seeking to gain management positions within the international maritime and transport sectors.
Graduates will be eligible to apply for senior management positions in international businesses in transport, logistics and maritime industries; ports and terminals management and administration at local and international levels; and government positions.
"Distance education opened the door to an executive management position, which I believe would never have happened without gaining the skill set I did at AMC."Marc Phillips
Graduate, Master of Business Administration (Maritime and Logistics Management)
Director of Operations for a Japanese / Swiss joint venture marine engineering and services company based in Tokyo
The Master of Business Administration (Health Management) provides participants with the skills required to further their business knowledge for managing and leading within the health sector as well as providing an opportunity to integrate work and learning through a work placement program.
Graduates will be able to successfully assume leadership roles in health services in a wide variety of settings, and will be able to undertake a pro-active role in advancing their organisations.
"The major workplace project required us to draw on all that we had learnt during the program and had meaningful outcomes for the workplace....Since graduating I have been given the opportunity to work at a higher level, in a statewide managment position"Salma Badr
Graduate, Master of Business Administration (Health Management)
Executive Officer, NSW Health Registered Training Organisation
The Master of Business Administration (Professional) provides essential knowledge and skills for broad operational and strategic management, as well as for a specific field of practice. It aims to closely integrate best business practice with specialised professional practice, and students can obtain the following degrees:
- Agricultural Innovation: develop the value chain for your agribusiness by acquiring skills in agricultural and food sector innovation, marketing and technology.
- Corporate Governance: expand your knowledge of the regulatory environment for business, improve the sustainability of your business, and learn to manage risk.
- Environmental Management: add skills in land and resource management, biodiversity conservation, sustainable development and environmental policy.
- Environmental Planning: look at the central role of environmental planning in achieving environmental, social and economic sustainability, including urban, regional and rural environments.
- Heritage Management: develop core historical research skills and knowledge to manage your heritage business and offer comprehensive, intellectually challenging interpretations.
- Human Resource Management: for professionals currently working in the field, as well as those wishing to move into this area. Includes leadership, resource development and ethics.
- Information Systems: explore the relationships of information and information technology to organisational needs, and current management practice in the development of information systems.
- Policy Management: combine a thorough grounding in the theory and practice of public policy; with the skills to engage in informed debate about major public policy issues in contemporary society, and knowledge of recent developments in the field.
- Regional Innovation: offered through the Cradle Coast campus, this specialisation develops entrepreneurial and innovation skills for those looking for community development opportunities outside the major cities.
- Tourism Management: with a focus on sustainability and regional tourism, and exploration of the broader intellectual issues involved with the practice of tourism.