Dr Tony Brown graduated from UTAS with a BSc (Hons) in 1972. Over the next 21 years he worked as a regional geologist for the Geological Survey of Tasmania mapping predominantly in western Tasmania. During this time he completed, by external study, a PhD which he received from UTAS in 1986. In the period 1987 to 1993 he undertook numerous administration and management tasks, as well as continuing regional mapping.
In 1994 he was appointed Director, Mineral Resources and State Chief Geologist for Tasmania. Over the next 15 years he instigated, obtained funding for, and managed three major projects valued at ~$20m. These projects were designed to enhance the potential of attracting minerals and petroleum exploration companies to Tasmania, as well as converting all geoscientific information held by Mineral Resources Tasmania into digital format and having this knowledge base made available, via the World Wide Web, for use in the minerals industry, and for infrastructure development and land management. The data were also combined to form a digital 3D geological model of Tasmania. The aim and outcome of these projects is a better understanding of the mineral potential of Tasmania and to aid improved ore body definition and targeting.
In the Australia Day 2011 Honours List he was awarded the Public Service Medal: For outstanding public service as a leader in the application of information technology and innovation to Tasmania's mining industry.
- University of Tasmania: Member of CODES Advisory Board (1995-2010); Member of CODES Scientific Planning Committee (1995-2010); Honorary Associate, School of Earth Sciences (1990-present)
- Royal Society of Tasmania: Council Member (1982-1984, 1993, 2012); Junior Vice President (1991); Senior Vice President (1992)
- Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery (TMAG): Royal Society of Tasmania nominee on TMAG Board of Trustees (1995-present); Chairman of Board of Trustees (1995-2004); Honorary Research Associate (Art) (1984-1994); Honorary Research Fellow (Art) (2012+)
- Allport Library and Museum of Fine Arts, State Library of Tasmania: TMAG nominee on ALMFA Management Committee (1999-present)
- Tasmanian Heritage Council: Representative of the Tasmanian Minerals Industry (2012+)
- Davidson, G.J.; Varne, R.; Brown, A.V.; and Connell, R., 2004 Structural controls on sulphide deposition at the dyke-lava boundary, slow-spreading ocean crust, Macquarie Island. Terra Nova, 16 (1). pp. 9-15.
- Jago, J.B., and Brown, A.V., 2001. Late Middle Cambrian Trilobites from the Trial Ridge, Southwestern Tasmania. Papers and Proceedings of the Royal Society of Tasmania, 135: 1-14.
- Varne, R.; Brown, A.V.; and Falloon, T., 2000. Macquarie Island: Its geology, structural history, and the timing and tectonic setting of its N-MORB to E-MORB magmatism. In: Dilek, Y. and Furnes, H. (ed.): Ophiolites and Oceanic Crust: New Insights from Field Studies and the Ocean Drilling Program. Geological Society of America Special Paper 349, pp301-320
- Bottrill, R.S., Brown, A.V., Calver, C.R., Corbett, K.D., Green, G.R., McClenaghan, M.P., Pemberton, J., Seymour, D.B., & Taheri, J., 1998. A Summary of the economic geology and mineral potential of Late Proterozoic and Palaeozoic provinces in Tasmania. AGSO Journal of Australian Geology & Geophysics. 17(3), 123-143
- Gibson, N.; Brown, M.J.; Williams, K.; and Brown, A.V., 1992. Flora and vegetation of ultramafic areas in Tasmania. Australian Journal of Ecology. 17, 297-303
- Jago, J.B., and Brown, A.V., 1992. Early Idamean (Late Cambrian) Agnostid Trilobites from the Huskisson River, Tasmania. Papers and Proceedings of the Royal Society of Tasmania, 126: 59-65. Jell, P.A.; Hughes, N.C.; and Brown A.V., 1991. Late Cambrian (Post-Idamean) Trilobites from the Higgins Creek area, Western Tasmania. Memoirs of the Queensland Museum. 30(3): 455-484
- Findlay, R.H.; Brown, A.V.; McClenaghan, M.P., 1990. Confirmation of the Correlation between Lower Palaeozoic Rocks in Western Tasmania and Northern Victoria Land, Antarctica, and a Revised Tectonic Interpretation. Memoir Soc. Geol. Italy, 46, 117-133
- Brown, A.V., and Jenner, G. A. 1988. Geological Setting, Petrology and Chemistry of Cambrian High-magnesian Andesite and Low-Titanium Tholeiite Lavas in Western Tasmania. in Crawford, A.J., (editor), Boninites and Related Rocks, Unwin Hyman, London 1988.
- Brown, A.V., Page, N.J. and Love, A. H. 1988. Geology and platinum group element (PGE) geochemistry of the Serpentine Hill Complex, Dundas Trough, Western Tasmania. Canadian Mineralogist V26 1, 161 175.
- Czmanske, G.K; Groves, D.I.; Bunting, J.A. and Brown, A.V., 1987. Comprehensive Bibliographies on Primary and Supergene Ni-Cu-PGE Mineralization Associated with Komatiitic and Mafic Intrusions in Australasia, on Layered Mafic Intrusions in Australasia, and on the Dufek Intrusion, Antarctica. United States Geological Survey Open File Report 87 412 A.
- Leaman, D.E.; Brown, A.V.; Williams, E., 1987. Discussion: Stratigraphic and structural relationships and evidence for Cambrian deformation at the western margin of the Mt Read Volcanics, Tasmania. Australian Journal of Earth Sciences. 34, 531-532
- Williams, P. R., and Brown, A. V. 1983. An Unusual occurrence of ultramafic and mafic rocks north of Mt Bischoff, N.W. Tasmania. Papers & Proceedings of Royal Society of Tasmania, 117. pp53 58.
- Brown, A.V., et al., in Cooper, R. A. and Grindley, G. W. (ed.) 1982 Late Proterozoic to Devonian Sequences of Southeastern Australia, Antarctica and New Zealand and their correlation. Spec. Publ. No. 9, Geol. Soc. Aust., pp103.
- Brown, A.V.; Rubenach, M. J.; Varne, R. 1980. Geological environment, petrology and tectonic significance of the Tasmanian Cambrian ophiolitic and ultramafic complexes. in Panayiotou, A. (ed.). Ophiolites, Proceedings International Ophiolite Symposium, Cyprus, 1979. pp649 659. Ministry of Agriculture and Natural Resources: Cyprus.
- Varne, R., and Brown, A.V. 1978. The geology and petrology of the Adamsfield Ultramafic Complex, Tasmania. Contrib. Mineral. Petrology, 67. pp195 207.
- Brown, A.V., and Jenner, G. A. 1988. Tectonic Implications of the Re-Interpretation of Eocambrian-Cambrian Mafic Volcanic and Associated Ultramafic Rocks in Western Tasmania. in Turner, N.J. (editor), The Geology and Evolution of the Latest Precambrian to Cambrian Rocks in the Western Tasmania Terrane. Geological Society of Australia, Tasmanian Division, Symposium, Hobart, 23 April 1988, pp23 25.
- Brown, A.V., 1982(a). Exploration Targets within the Dundas Trough - A Regional Approach. in Green, D. C. (ed.) Geology, Mineralisation, Exploration, Western Tasmania. Geol. Soc. Aust. Symposium, Queenstown 1982, p31.
- Brown, A.V., 1982(b). A Geological Cross-Section of the Dundas Trough (Pieman Road). Excursion Guide A1. in Green, D. C. (ed.) Geology, Mineralization, Exploration: Western Tasmania. Geol. Soc. Aust. Symposium, Queenstown 1982, p38 42.
- Brown, A.V., and Waldron, H. M. 1981. High-magnesian Andesites within a Cambrian Continental Rift Environment, Western Tasmania. in Abstracts, Generation of Major Basalt Types, IAVCEI - IAGC Scientific Assembly Reykjavik, Iceland, August
- Brown, A.V., 1980. Early Deposits in a Lower Palaeozoic Trough of Western Tasmania. in Williams E., et al. (ed.) Programme and Abstracts. Fourth Australian Geological Convention, Hobart, 1980. Geol. Soc. Aust., p23.
- Corbett, K.D. and Brown, A.V., 1980. Lower Palaeozoic Geology of Western Tasmania. Excursion Guide A1, 4th Australian Geological Convention, Geological Society of Australia, Hobart, January 1980. pp19.
- Baillie, P. W. and Brown, A. V. 1978. A section across the Dial Range Trough and its Margins. Excursion 3. In: Green, D. C. and Williams, P. R. (ed.) Geology and Mineralization of N.W. Tasmania. Geol. Soc. Aust., Symposium, Burnie 1978.
- Brown, A.V., 1986. Geology of the Dundas - Mt Youngbuck area, Western Tasmania. Unpubl. Ph.D. thesis, University of Tasmania: Hobart. Vol. 1, pp180; Vol. 2, pp78.
- Brown, A. V., 1972. Petrology and structure of the Adamsfield ultramafic mass. Unpubl. B.Sc. (Hons) thesis, University of Tasmania: Hobart. pp132.
- Brown, A. V., 1972. Anorthosites. Unpubl. B.Sc. (Hons) Reading Thesis, University of Tasmania: Hobart. pp74.
Tasmanian Geological Survey, Regional Geological Maps
- Everard, J.L., Seymour, D.B., Green, D.C., McClenaghan, M.P., Brown, A.V., Reed, A.R., 2011, 2007. Digital Geological Atlas 1:25,000 Scale Series - Sumac - 3244
- McClenaghan, M.P., Seymour, D.B., Green, D.C., Brown, A.V., 2011, 1997. Digital Geological Atlas 1:25,000 Scale Series: Roger - 3245
- Brown, A.V., Calver, C.R., Corbett, K.D., Everard, J.L., Forsyth, S.M., Geoff Green, Goscombe, B.D., McClenaghan, M.P., Pemberton, J., Seymour, D.B., Vicary, M.J., 2011. Digital Geological Atlas 1:250,000 Scale Series: Geology of Southwest Tasmania
- Brown, A.V., Calver, C.R., Corbett, K.D., Everard, J.L., Forsyth, S.M., Geoff Green, Goscombe, B.D., M.J. Clark, McClenaghan, M.P., Pemberton, J., Seymour, D.B., Vicary, M.J., 2010, 2005. Digital Geological Atlas Scale 1:500 000 Scale Series: Geology of Tasmania
- McClenaghan, M.P., Green, D.C., Seymour, D.B., Brown, A.V., Vicary, M.J., 2010. Digital Geological Atlas 1:25,000 Scale Series: Gog - 4440
- Everard, J.L., Seymour, D.B., Brown, A.V., 1996. Geological Atlas 1:50,000 Series: Trowutta - 7195N
- Turner, N.J., Brown, A.V., McClenaghan, M.P., 1991. Geological Atlas 1:50,000 Series: Corinna - 7914N
- Brown, A.V., 1988. Geological Atlas 1:50,000 Scale Series: Montgomery - 7912S
- Turner. N.J., Calver, C.R., McClenaghan, M.P., McClenaghan, J., Brown, A.V., Lennox, P.G., 1985. Geological Atlas 1:50,000 Scale Series: Pedder - 8112S
- Brown, A.V., McClenaghan, M.P., Turner, N.J., Baillie, P.W., McClenaghan, J., Lennox, P.G., Williams, P.R., 1983. Geological Atlas 1:50,000 Series: Huntley - 8112N
- Lennox, P.G., Corbett, K.D., Baillie, P.W., Corbett, E.B., Brown, A.V., 1982. Geological Atlas 1:50,000 Scale Series - Smithton - 7916S
- Brown, A.V., McClenaghan, M.P., Moore, W.R., Turner, N.J., McClenaghan, J., Williams, P.R., Baillie, P.W., Corbett, K.D., Corbett, E.B., Cox, S.F., Groves, D.I., Pike, G.P., 1977 Geological Atlas 1:50,000 Series: Ringarooma - 8415N
Tasmanian Geological Survey Bulletin (GSB)
- Brown, A.V., 1992. Platinum Group Elements and their host rocks in Tasmania: a summary review. GSB70/48-55
- Brown, A.V.; Everard, J.L.; Findlay, R.H.; McClenaghan, M.P.; Seymour, D.B., 1992. Current systematic regional mapping - new potentials for mineral discovery GSB70/70-82
- Brown, A.V., 1986. Geology of the Dundas-Mt Lindsay-Mt Youngbuck Region. GSB62. pp221.
- McClenaghan, M. P., Turner, N. J., Baillie, P. W., Brown, A. V., Williams, P. R. and Moore, W. R. 1982. Geology of the Ringarooma Boobyalla area. GSB61, pp198.
Tasmanian Geological Survey Map Quadrangle Explanatory Report (ER)
- Brown, A.V., 2011. Geological Survey Explanatory Report, Geological Atlas 1:50 000 series, Sheet 78 (7912S), Montgomery. ER7912S0
- Brown, A.V., (ed) 1989. Geological Survey Explanatory Report, Geological Atlas 1:50 000 series, Sheet 21 (7916S), Smithton. ER7916S0
- Baillie, P.W.; Brown, A.V.; Calver, C.R.; McClenaghan, J.; McClenaghan, M.P.; Turner, N.J., 1989. Geological Survey Explanatory Report, Geological Atlas 1:50 000 series, sheet 73 (8112N) Huntley ER8112N0
- Corbett, K.D. and Brown, A.V., 1976. Geological Atlas, 1:250 000 series. Sheet Sk 55/5 Queenstown. ER Sk 55/5
Tasmanian Geological Survey Unpublished Report (UR)
- Brown, A.V., 1999. Vision for mineral sector growth. TASGEOL 2005 - Phase 2. Enhancing Tasmania's mineral prospectivity and land management capability. UR1999/02
- Brown, A.V., 1998. Platinum Group Elements and their host rocks in Tasmania: a summary review. UR1998/04
- Brown, A.V., 1997. Vision for mineral sector growth - TASGEOL 2005 - Enhancing Tasmania's mineral prospectivity and land management capability. UR1997/02
- Brown, A.V., 1995. Decade of growth, vision for mineral sector growth - TASGEOL 2004 - Enhancing TasmaniaÃ¢Ã¢âââ€š¬šÂ¬™s mineral prospectivity and land management capability. UR1995/12
- Brown, A.V., 1994. Granitic Rocks from the 1:50 000 Scale Montgomery Geological Map Sheet. UR1994/11
- Brown, A.V.; Waldron, H.M., 1993. Geological Setting and Petrochemistry of Eocambrian - Cambrian Volcano-Sedimentary Rock Sequences from South East King Island. UR1993/28
- Findlay, R.H., Brown, A.V.; 1992. The 10th Legion Thrust, Zeehan district: Distribution, interpretation, regional and economic significance. UR1992/02
- Kimbrough, D., Brown, A.V.; 1992. Zircon Pb/U Age of 520 Ma for a Tonalite Associated with the Heazlewood Ultramafic/Mafic Complex, Western Tasmania. UR1992/24
- Brown, A.V.; Findlay, R.H.; McClenaghan, M.P.; Seymour, D.B., 1991. Synopsis of the Regional Geology of the Macquarie Harbour, Point Hibbs and Montgomery 1:50 000 Map Sheets. UR1991/21
- Brown, A.V., 1991. Revocation Report on the Melba Flats Exempt Area Sr 1987, No. 216 of 11 Kilometres Squared. UR1991/10
- Brown, A.V.; Findlay, R.H.; McClenaghan, M.P., 1991. Summary of the Regional Geology of the Macquarie Harbour, Pt Hibbs, and Montgomery 1:50 000 Map Sheets. UR1991/02
- Brown, A.V., 1989. Orthopyroxene rich ultramafic rocks from western Tasmania and their PGE contents. UR1989/40
- Brown, A.V., 1989. Preliminary report on Stonehenge DDH1, DDH2 and similar rocks in an Amco diamond drill hole near the Old Nubeena Mine. UR1989/39
- Waldron, H.M., Brown, A.V.; 1988. Garnet-Pyroxene-Plagioclase Granulite Xenoliths from a Lamprophyre Dyke, South East King Island. UR1988/27
- Waldron, H.M., Brown, A.V.; 1986. Major trace and REE chemistry of Eocambrian-Cambrian basaltic suites from the Dundas Trough and Smithton Basin, western Tasmania. UR1986/86
- Brown, A.V., 1986. Ultramafic-Mafic Complexes of Western Tasmania and Platinum Group Element (PGE) Minerals. UR1986/28
- Brown, A.V., 1985. Preliminary report on the Forest No. 1 diamond-drill hole and chemical analyses of associated tholeiitic basalts in the Smithton and Woolnorth Quadrangles. UR1985/62.
- Waldron, H.M., Brown, A.V.; 1985. Rare Earth Element Patterns of Eocambrian-Cambrian Basaltic Suites, Western Tasmania. UR1985/37
- Brown, A.V., 1984. Geological Compilation of the Zeehan-Waratah Area, Dundas Trough, at 1:100 000 Scale. UR1984/80
- Baillie, P.W.; Brown, A.V., 1984. Igneous Rocks from Tasmanian Devil #1. UR1984/74
- Baillie, P.W.; Brown, A.V., 1984. Igneous Rocks from Squid #1. UR1984/63
- Brown, A.V., 1984. Regional Geology of the Mt Youngbuck-Magnet Area; 1:25 000 Maps. UR1984/62
- Brown, A.V.; Forsyth, S.M., 1984. Chemistry of Tertiary basalt and palynology of interbedded sediments from BHP drill cores, EL 33/79. UR1984/39
- Hudspeth, J.W., Brown, A.V.; 1984. SPINEL: a FORTRAN program to correct electron probe spinel analyses for ferric oxide. UR1984/35
- Brown, A.V., 1984. Brief descriptions for the map Regional Geology of the Dundas-Mt Lindsay-Mt Ramsay Area, western Tasmania. UR1984/33
- Brown, A.V.; Stait, B.A., 1983. First Recorded Occurrence of Geisonoceras Sp. in Tasmania. UR1983/16
- Brown, A.V., 1982. Preliminary map and rock descriptions for the Regional Geology of the Dundas-Mt Lindsay-Mt Ramsay Area, Western Tasmania. UR1982/46
- Brown, A.V.; Waldron, H.M., 1982. Preliminary Review of Eocambrian-Cambrian Basaltic Associations and Tectonic Setting Within Western and North Western Tasmania. UR1982/10
- Clarke, M.J., Brown, A.V.; 1980. Fossil faunas in Eldon Group Correlates within the Huskisson Syncline. UR1980/47
- Corbett, K.D.; Richardson, R.G., Collins, P.L.F.; Green, G.R.; Brown, A.V.; 1982. The 1981 West Coast Aeromagnetic Survey: Summary of Information and Results. UR1982/39
- Brown, A.V., 1980. Some aspects of the geology of the Mt Lindsay - Dundas areas, western Tasmania. UR1980/42
- Brown, A.V., 1980. Geological traverse along the Hydro-Electric Commissions Pieman Road, from LPD 45.5 km to the Stanley River (LPD 20.2 km). UR1980/33
- Brown, A.V., 1978. Tertiary Lead and Basin - Winnaleah Map Sheet. UR1978/07
- Brown, A.V., 1977. Preliminary Report on Age Determination of Basalt Samples from the Ringarooma 1:50000 Sheets. UR1977/25
- Brown, A.V.; Turner, N.J.; Williams, E., 1974. The Basal Beds of the Junee Group. UR1974/61
- Geochemistry (040299)
- Ore Deposit Petrology (040307)
- Inorganic Geochemistry (040202)
- Mineral Resources (excl. Energy Resources) (849999)
- Marine Oceanic Processes (excl. climate related) (969902)
- Antarctic and Sub-Antarctic Land and Water Management (960901)
Grants & Funding
Number of grants
- Antarctic Science Advisory Committee ($4,700)
- Administered By
- University of Tasmania
- Research Team
- Davidson GJ; Varne R; Brown AT