Prior to commencing her PhD, Karen worked for over ten years as a Research Assistant in the Centre for Rural Health at the University of Tasmania where she contributed to the first Australian trial of the social norms approach to reducing alcohol misuse amongst young people and numerous projects relating to healthy eating for older people. Karen has conducted contract research in adult education and training, tutored in Education at the University of Sydney and the University of Western Sydney and also spent several years working as an antiquarian bookseller.
Karen's current research focuses on parent's experiences of reporting bullying to schools. Narrative interviews will be conducted with up to 20 parents whose children are currently in Grades 5-8 in Tasmanian schools, and who have reported bullying of their child to a school. The study seeks to include parents who have been satisfied with the response they have received from schools as well as those who have had less satisfactory experiences. Findings will potentially inform the development of policies and programs to facilitate more effective communication between parents and schools to help resolve bullying situations.
Selected Publications (2009-2014)
- Herne, K.E. (online before print, 2014) 'It's the parents': re-presenting parents in school bullying research. Critical Studies in Education, DOI:10.1080/17508487.2014.9988635 [Refereed Article]
- Boyer, K and Orpin, P and Herne, KE, (2011) 'Healthy Eating for Healthy Ageing: Innovative Options from Innovative Partnerships', National HACC National Conference Program, 4-6 April 2011, Brisbane, pp. 1-20. (2011) [Refereed Conference: Extract]
- King, AE and Herne, K.E. and Boyer, K and Orpin, P, (2011) 'The experience of food insecurity amongst elderly Tasmanians', Food Futures Conference 2011, Conference Proceedings, 22-23 November 2011, Hobart, pp. 1-20. (2011) [Refereed Conference: Abstract]
- Boyer, K and Herne, K.E. and Orpin, P. (2010) 'Food for thought: Eating Well, eating Socially', Australian Journal on Ageing: Special Issue - Abstracts for 43rd National Conference of the Australian Association of Gerontology, 17-19 November 2010, Hobart, Tasmania, pp. 4. (2010) [Refereed Conference: Extract]
- Herne, K. (2009) Social eating for older people. University Department of Rural Health, University of Tasmania. [Contract Report: Prepared for Home and Community Care]
- Orpin, P and Boyer, K and Herne, K.E. (2009) 'Healthy eating, healthy ageing: Geriatric nutritional risk in a rural community', Australasian Journal on Ageing Vol. 28 Supplement 2 November 2009, 26-27 November 2009, Canberra, pp. A68-69. (2009) [Refereed Conference: Extract]