Once your application has been considered by the HREC you will be notified via email of the outcome.
The HREC considers each application and amendment and gives a final decision of:
- Approved to commence research
A formal letter of ethics approval will be sent to you within the next few days.
- Approval pending researchers’ response to HREC comments.
There are three levels to this decision:
- Back to Executive Officer – The committee requires minor amendments to be made to the application before it can be approved. The committee grants the Executive Officer power to approve the application if these changes are made.
- Back to Chair – The committee has some concerns or requires amendments to be made to the application before it can be approved. The committee grants the Chair power to approve the application if researchers’ response to committee concerns is adequate. Responses are considered by the Chair out of session.
- Back to Committee – The committee has significant concerns or requires substantial changes to be made to the application before it can be approved. Researchers must respond to the HREC’s concerns and the application must be considered again by the full HREC at its meeting. A deadline is given so that this response can be considered by the HREC at its next meeting.
- Not Approved
If your application is not approved, you will be notified of the reasons for the HREC’s decision. Applicants may appeal this decision by stating their concerns, in writing, to the Chair of the HREC.