Karsten Goemann overseas to attend conference from 31 July 2015 to 13 August 2015 inclusive. During this time instrument usage only permitted if booked in advance with CSL staff.
Sandrin Feig on parental leave 27 July 2015 to 30 August 2015 inclusive.
Hitachi FESEM unavailable from 13 July 2015 to around 17 August 2015 (replacement of air conditioning system in the room).
- All bookings to be arranged with CSL staff (no 'self-booking' using on-line booking system).
- Fixed session starting times for the following instruments (last session until 9AM following day):
- FEI Quanta ESEM/MLA: 9:30AM, 2:30PM
- Cameca microprobe: 10AM, 3PM
- Hitachi FESEM: 10:30AM, 3:30PM
- Facility opening hours Mon-Fri 9AM-5PM. No support guaranteed outside these hours.
- No bookings more than 2 weeks in advance unless for good reason (e.g. visiting for limited time)
- Preference is given to users with limited time (honours students...)
- Preference for day sessions is given to users requiring training & supervision
- Cancelling & rescheduling of bookings to be arranged with CSL staff (no session 'trading').
- In case of equipment failure, operator sickness etc., users have to make new bookings (shifting everybody ahead not possible).
- Samples to be handed in for carbon coating at least 24 hours in advance (carbon coater only to be operated by CSL staff).
- Sputter coating (Au, Pt,...) to be completed before session starts. Sputter target changes only to be performed by CSL staff.
- No toxic or noxious or in any other way harmful biological and chemical samples may be brought into the labs or put into the instruments.
- Routine conditions updated by CSL staff each morning: 15 or 20 kV, 10-100 nA
- Available routine analysis programs:
- silicates anhydrous / oxides 15kV: Si, Ti, Al, Fe, Mn, Mg, Ca, K, Na, Ba, Sr, Cr, Ni, V, Zn (O by stoichiometry)
- silicates hydrous 15kV: Si, Ti, Al, Fe, Mn, Mg, Ca, K, Na, P, S, Cl, F, Ba, Sr, Cr, Ni, V, Zn (O by stoichiometry)
- carbonates 15kV: Ca, Fe, Mn, Mg, Zn, Ba, Sr, K, Na, Si, P, S (O by stoichiometry, C by formula)
- sulphides 20kV: Ag, As, Au, Bi, Co, Cu, Fe, Mn, Ni, Pb, Sb, Se, Zn, S
- oxides 20kV: Si, Ti, Al, Fe, Mn, Mg, Ca, Cr, Co, Cu, Ni, V, Zn, O
- Removing elements from these programs possible, adding elements only if discussed with CSL staff at time of booking
- Various other methods available on request (e.g. quartz trace element analysis, apatite analysis), special arrangements for certain methods apply (e.g. monazite geochronology), to be discussed with CSL staff at time of booking
- Everything else (especially trace element analysis) might require method development which might be charged separately (usual rates)
- Weekends and at least part of Mondays usually reserved for MLA runs (starting Fri 2:30PM)
- SEM usage split in 2 groups:
- SE imaging, CL imaging, ESEM + LowVacuum work.
- Optimised for high magnification and high contrast imaging.
- No BSE imaging possible, very limited EDS capability.
- Grouped bookings for special detector requirements (CL, ESEM, LowVacuum) desirable
- BSE imaging, EDS work, MLA work.
- Optimised for long filament lifetime and beam stability.
- No CL imaging possible, limited SE capability.
- "Imaging" setup:
- The changeover between these two setups is flexible depending on demand.
- Special setup requirements have to be discussed with CSL staff at time of booking.
- Personal access has to be arranged with CSL staff prior to first after hours booking (no access code and swipe card trading or borrowing)
- After hours induction required, strict adherence to after hours policies essential
- Only independent users allowed (which have received the required instrument training)
- Only instrument operation allowed (no lab work such as sample preparation, cleaning or coating, refilling of liquid nitrogen...)
Last updated: 29 Jul 2015