Assoc/Prof Noel Davies
Principal Research Fellow - Organic Mass Spectrometry
BScAgr(Hons), PhD, FRACI, C.Chem
|Contact Campus||Sandy Bay Campus|
|Room Reference||Room 250 Level 2|
|Telephone||+61 3 6226 2157|
|Fax||+61 3 6226 2494|
Noel joined the CSL in 1979 as a Research Fellow in Mass Spectrometry, and in 1984 was appointed Officer-in-Charge of both the Organic Mass Spectrometry and Vibrational Spectroscopy facilities. He has been associated exclusively with the Organic Mass Spectrometry facility since 1986. His research interests include analytical applications of mass spectrometry and chromatography in various life sciences (pharmacology, plant science, horticulture, forestry, microbiology, medicine and zoology).
For more information on the organic MS facility go to the Organic Mass Spectrometry Facility Page
- 'Optimizing flow rates in capillary gas chromatography-mass spectrometry' N.W.Davies 1985 Journal of Chromatography 325, 23-35
- 'Gas chromatographic retention indices of monoterpenes and sesquiterpenes on methyl silicone and Carbowax 20M phases' N.W.Davies 1990 Journal of Chromatography 503, 1-24
- 'Characterisation of major peptides in 'jack jumper' ant venom by mass spectrometry' N.W.Davies, M.D.Wiese, S.G.Brown 2004 Toxicon 43, 173-183
- 'A photosynthetic alveolate closely related to apicomplexan parasites' R.B.Moore, M.Obornik, T.Chrudimsky, J.Janouskovec, M.Vancova, D.H.Green, S.W.Wright, N.W.Davies, C.J.S. Bolch, K.Heimann, O.Hoegh-Guldberg, J.M.Logsdon Jr, D.A.Carter 2008 Nature 451, 959-963
- 'Hydrogen-Deuterium exchange on aromatic rings during Atmospheric Pressure Chemical Ionization mass spectrometry' N.W.Davies, J.A.Smith, P.P.Molesworth, J.J.Ross 2010 Rapid Communications in Mass Spectrometry 24, 1105-1110
- 'Reassessing the role of N-hydroxytryptamine in auxin biosynthesis' N.D.Tivendale, N.W.Davies, P.P.Molesworth, S.E.Davidson, J.A.Smith, E.Lowe, J.B.Reid, J.J.Ross 2010 Plant Physiology 154(4), 1957-1965
- 'Can an ancestral condition for milk oligosaccharides be determined? Evidence from the Tasmanian echidna (Tachyglossus aculeatus setosus)' O.T.Oftedal, S.C.Nicol, N.W.Davies, N.Sekii, E.Taufik, K.Fukuda, T.Saito, T.Urashima 2014 Glycobiology in press
Noel was a Churchill Fellow in 1988, and was elected as a Fellow of the Royal Australian Chemical Institute (RACI) in 1997. He received the Lloyd Smythe Medal from the Analytical Division of the RACI in 2012 for services to analytical chemistry, and a national RACI citation award in 2006. In 2013 he received the Morrison Medal from the Australian & New Zealand Society for Mass Spectrometry (ANZSMS) for his contributions to mass spectrometry and its applications over the previous 38 years, and presented the plenary Morrison Lecture at the biennial ANZSMS conference. He was program chairman for the RACI's 11th Analytical Conference in 1991, and convened the 16th conference of ANZSMS in 1997.
He has written or co-authored 160 refereed papers, as well as 125 national and international conference presentations. His 1990 review paper on gas chromatographic retention indices of terpenes has become the most cited paper by a Tasmanian author in any discipline since 1979, with ~1350 citations - it currently receives around 100 citations per year. His work has been cited ~3500 times, with currently ~300 new citations per year.
Noel has been the Tasmanian representative for ANZSMS since 1983 and served on the national executive of the Society from 1995-2004 and from 2009-2013.