Dr Thomas Rodemann
Deputy Director CSL
Research Fellow - Vibrational Spectroscopy & Elemental Analysis
BSc Hons, PhD (La Trobe), MRACI CChem
|Contact Campus||Sandy Bay Campus|
|Room Reference||Level 4, Room 447|
|Telephone||+61 3 6226 7192|
|Fax||+61 3 6226 2494|
Dr Thomas Rodemann joined the CSL in 2006 and is appointed as Deputy Director of the CSL and Research Fellow of the Vibrational Spectroscopy & Elemental Analysis facilities.
Thomas is a PhD supervisor developing new chip and capillary based microreactors for organic synthesis. He is also working with researchers in the School of Chemistry investigating fundamental organometallic chemistry of palladium and platinum, with focus on aspects of their higher oxidation states.
In addition, Thomas is collaborating with the Tasmanian Institute of Agriculture and is an Honours student supervisor in the field of food safety investigating NIR predictions for microbial spoilage of fish. Thomas is also working with the eucalypt genetics research group in the School of Plant Science, developing NIR prediction models.
Previous research interests were in the field of medicinal chemistry with emphasis on the synthesis of novel nitrogen containing heterocycles as anticancer agents.
Vibrational Spectroscopy - Fourier Transform Mid-Infrared, Near-Infrared and Raman Spectroscopy
- Renishaw inVia Raman microscope with Streamline
- Bruker Vertex 70 infrared spectrometer + Bruker Hyperion 3000 (FPA-microscope)
- Bruker MPA near-infrared spectrometer
- Bruker IFS 66 infrared spectrometer + Bruker IR Scope I (microscope)
- Bruker FRA 106 Raman spectrometer + Raman Scope (microscope)
Elemental Analysis - determination of carbon, nitrogen, hydrogen and sulphur contents
- Thermo Finnigan EA 1112 Series Flash Elemental Analyser
- Sartorius Microbalance SE2 (Capacity: 2.1 g, Readability: 0.1 µg)
- Microreactors for organic synthesis
- Synthesis of organometallic compounds using hypervalent iodine reagents
- Eucalypt genetics
- Food Safety
Dr Thomas Rodemann is a member of the Royal Australian Chemical Institute (RACI), the professional body for Chemists in Australia. Thomas has been a Committee Member of the local Tasmanian Branch since 2002, where he served four years as Youth Activities Officer. In 2006, Thomas took over the Treasurer position of the Tasmanian branch.
- Jeremy A. Deverell, Thomas Rodemann, Jason A. Smith, Allan J. Canty, Rosanne M. Guijt, 'UV Initiated Formation of Polymer Monoliths in Glass and Polymer Microreactors.', Sens. Actuators, B, 2011, B155, 388-396.
- Allan J. Canty, Michael G. Gardiner, Roderick C Jones, Thomas Rodemann, Manab Sharma , 'Binuclear Intermediates in Oxidation Reactions: [(Me3SiC≡C)Me2(bipy)Pt-PtMe2(bipy)]+ in the Oxidation of PtIIMe2(bipy) (bipy = 2,2'-bipyridine) by IPh(C≡CSiMe3)(OTf) (OTf = Triflate).', J. Am. Chem. Soc, 2009, 131, 7236-7237.
- Allan J. Canty, Jeremy A. Deverell, Anissa Gömann, Rosanne M. Guijt, Thomas Rodemann, Jason A. Smith, 'Microfluidic Devices for Flow-through Supported Palladium Catalysis on Porous Organic Monolith.', Aust. J. Chem., 2008, 61, 630-633.
- Allan J. Canty, Thomas Rodemann, Brian W. Skelton, Allan H. White, 'Access to Alkynylpalladium(IV) and -Platinum(IV) Species, Including Triorgano(diphosphine)metal(IV) Complexes and the Structural Study of an Alkynyl(pincer)platinum(IV) Complex, Pt(O2CArF)I(C≡CSiMe3)(NCN) (ArF = 4-CF3C6H4, NCN = [2,6-(dimethylaminomethyl)phenyl-N,C,N]-)', Organometallics, 2006, 25, 3996-4001.
- Thomas Rodemann, Cameron Johns, Wen-Schu Yang, Paul R. Haddad, Miroslav Macka, 'Isoelectric Buffers for Capillary Electrophoresis. 2. Bismorpholine Derivative of a Carboxylic Acid as a Low Molecular Weight Isoelectric Buffer.', Analytical Chemistry, 2005, 77, 120-125.
- Allan J. Canty, Jim Patel, Thomas Rodemann, John H. Ryan, Brian W. Skelton, Allan H. White, 'Reactivity of Diaryliodine(III) Triflates toward Palladium(II) and Platinum(II): Reactions of C(sp2)-I Bonds to Form Arylmetal(IV) Complexes; Access to Dialkyl(aryl)metal(IV), 1,4-Benzenediyl-Bridged Platinum(IV), and Triphenylplatinum(IV) Species; and Structural Studies of Platinum(IV) Complexes.', Organometallics, 2004, 23, 3466-3473.
- Leslie W. Deady, Thomas Rodemann, Li Zhuang, Bruce C. Baguley, William A. Denny, 'Synthesis and Cytotoxic Activity of Carboxamide Derivatives of Benzo[b][1,6]naphthyridines.', Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, 2003, 46, 1049-1054.