Scholarships for higher degrees by research
$32,000 tax free per annum for successful applicants (both domestic and international)
New Zealand citizens may also apply for domestic scholarships.
Tuition fee scholarships are also available for international candidates - ask your prospective school about these scholarships.
These are scholarships for specific research projects or with special eligibility criteria.
The University of Tasmania offers a wide range of tax free living scholarships to assist candidates to complete their higher degree by research on a full-time basis.
Scholarships available include Elite Research Scholarships, Australian Postgraduate Awards (APA), Tasmania Graduate Research Scholarships (TGRS), Australian Postgraduate Awards Industry (APAI), Cooperative Research Centre (CRC) scholarships and industry-funded scholarships.
Admission and scholarship application information
Scholarships are awarded on the basis of academic merit and research potential. Prospective candidates should investigate current areas of research strength at UTAS and must discuss their interests and options with the Graduate Research Coordinator and/or potential supervisors in the discipline where they wish to study.
Information on how to apply and admission requirements is here. Applicants with proven research abilities are able to apply for admission and scholarship at any time. Applicants should complete an application for candidature and scholarship and must have the full support of their proposed school of enrolment.
Research Centres and Institutes Scholarships
Scholarships may also be offered by the following research centres and institutes:
- Antarctic Climate & Ecosystems Cooperative Research Centre (ACE CRC)
- Australian Centre for Research on Separation Science (ACROSS)
- Australian Maritime College (AMC)
- Australian Research Council Centre of Excellence in Ore Deposit Research (CODES)
- Australian Seafood Cooperative Research Centre
- Bushfire Cooperative Research Centre
- Centre for Environment
- Cooperative Research Centre for Forestry
- HITLab Australia
- Institute for Marine & Antarctic Studies (IMAS)
- Menzies Research Institute
- Tasmanian Institute of Agriculture (TIA)