The University has two email systems Sun Microsystems ‘Webmail’ and Microsoft Exchange. By default all undergraduate students have access to the webmail system. PhD Candidates and staff as well as webmail can also have an Exchange account created for them.
The following changes will occur to your email if you previously accessed a webmail account as an undergraduate student:
- Logging into webmail from the following site, https://webmail.utas.edu.au/, will redirect to the Outlook Web Access log in page https://owa.utas.edu.au/.
- Email will no longer appear in your webmail account and will be redirected to exchange.
When your Exchange account is created a forward will need to be setup in ‘Webmail’ to redirect all incoming email from ‘Webmail’ to the Exchange account. This can be done by following the instructions here. Once this forward is in place you will automatically be redirected to the Microsoft Exchange system when logging in online.
An Exchange account can also be accessed through Microsoft Outlook this however is entirely optional. For instructions on setting this up please follow this link to Setting up Outlook to Connect to Microsoft Exchange.
N.B. Old email that was in the webmail system as an undergraduate student will not be moved across to your Exchange account automatically. If the mail in the webmail system is required then you will need to manually migrate the email across by following this link.
Please also be aware that mail remaining in the webmail system after you configure exchange may be removed without notice.
There is currently no mechanism from within Microsoft Exchange allowing the user to set forwards. If you have a business case for requiring a mail forward you can request one be set by contacting the IT Service Desk by email to email@example.com phone +61 3 6226 1818.
As a Microsoft Exchange user, you can set vacation messages in a variety of ways depending on how you access your mail. Common to all Microsoft Exchange users is the Outlook Web Access interface.
Follow these steps to set a forward using Outlook Web Access:
Vacation - Out of office assistant -> enter text -> save
- First log in to the Outlook Web Access site using the UTAS Webmail page
- Click ‘Options’ toward the top right corner of the page.
- Click ‘Out of Office Assistant’ on the left side of the page.
- Use the fields on the page to enable/disable vacation messages, set date ranges and customise the content of your vacation message.
- Click 'Save' toward the top left corner of the page to apply your chosen settings.