You will need your UTAS account name and password in order to print. You must also have enough credit in your CAPS account in order to print your job. The cost of printing varies depending on the printer, but most are $0.12 per sheet (GST inc.) for a single sided A4. Print costs should be on or near the printer as part of a poster which also shows the queue name for the printer.
- In the program you are using, select print from the File menu.
- Use the drop-down menu on the Print screen to make sure the correct printer is selected.
- Click OK. A window will appear for you to enter your email account name and password.
- Enter your username and password, and then click on OK.
- If you do not have sufficient funds then a popup will notify you of this. If you do have sufficient funds a window will appear with the name of the printer to which the job has been send and the cost of the print job.
- If you have access to more than one account that has sufficient funds then a drop down box will allow you to select an account. Only one account will appear if you only have one account or you only have one account with sufficient funds.
- Click OK to confirm the print, or cancel to stop the print. If the cost seems too expensive, you may have accidentally printed too many pages, or chosen an expensive printer (eg: colour). If it seems too cheap, you may have printed the wrong frame of a framed web page. In either case, you should click Cancel and review the print settings.
- Click OK. A new window will appear to notify you which printer your job has been allocated to. Read the final message. The printer listed will soon produce your print job and money will be deducted from your CAPS account.
How to use the copiers varies according to manufacturer, but generally the following applies. Begin by opening your CAPS account on the photocopier using the instructions above.
Note: Your should press the "Function Clear" button (depending on the copier brand) before copying, as this will clear any settings from previous users. To then perform a copy:
- Place your original, face-down, on the glass plate of the copier and gently close the lid.
- Select the number of copies you require.
- Select any special settings you need - reduce, enlarge, etc.
- Press the green Print button.
- If you want to make more than one copy of an item, it is a good idea to make a single copy first and check the print quality before proceeding.
Remember to press the "Enter" button on the card swiper to close the connection to your account.
Each branch Library contains at least one B&W photocopier which can print A4 and A3. Photocopiers are also located at various other locations around the campuses such as some administration areas, Learning Hubs and some Schools. There are a few colour photocopiers in the Libraries or the Schools.
There are several copier brands in use around the University. For assistance in operating specific copiers please ask local staff or refer to any instructional posters located near the copiers.
IMPORTANT! if for any reason your first attempt to print does not succeed DO NOT keep trying. This only makes the problem - whatever it is - worse and with the CAPS printing system you may end up paying for multiple printouts you don't want. Firstly consider whether you have entered your CAPS username and password correctly. Are you sure that your computer is printing to the printer you want? What is the name of the printer in the print dialogue box when you select print? Ensure that the printer is on and one green light is on. If a red/orange light is on then there is either a paper jam, it's out of paper or it's out of toner. If this is the case contact Service Desk or the local administrative staff.
If you have a problem with a printer that you cannot resolve, please notify the Service Desk or the local administrative staff.
In the event that your print or copy is poor quality, the device jams or some other failure, you can apply for a CAPS refund. To apply for a refund please contact the Service Desk
When logging a job, please include the following information:
- Your username
- The name of the printer or print queue (it should be on the printer, eg: ITS-LIB-PRT1)
- The approximate date and time of the event
- No. of pages incorrectly charged, type of job (colour, A3, A4 duplex) or the cost of the job.
- The nature of the fault - eg: printer jam, low quality, out of toner etc.
The CAPS team typically will respond to a request for refund within one business day of receiving your application for refund.
UTAS photocopiers must be used strictly in accordance with the provisions of the Copyright Act. In every case the onus is on the user to ensure that copying does not breach the Act. Any infringement is entirely the responsibility of the user. There are notices near most photocopier setting out the main points of the Copyright Act.