Part-time and Casual Employment Rates
The following information should be taken as a guideline only and is intended for use in casual, private arrangements. Business employers are required to apply award rates and conditions.
- gardening/labouring - $20.30 per hour (plus costs of providing fuel between locations or for machinery use on the job). This the casual hourly rate for minimum wage.
- domestic cleaning - $21.68 per hour casual rate (Cleaning Services Award 2010)
- tutoring (one on one)
|up to Grade 10||$22 - $25 per hour|
|Grade 11 and 12||$25 - $30 per hour|
|Tertiary level||$30 - $40 per hour|
- tutoring (group) - add $5 - $10 per hour to the relevant rate
- word processing - $5 - $10 per page (depending on complexity of task - e.g. layouts, resumes, charts etc)
For information on working permit conditions for international students visit the Department of Immigration and Border Protection
For information on casual pay rates, awards, minimum wage, minimum shift and break times, working conditions, notice periods and leave entitlements, visit Fair Work Australia.
At some stage you may need to seek further assistance on employment-related issues including specialist advice on salaries and conditions. The links below will provide you with a range of information to assist you..
- Fair Work - information and advice about Australia's national workplace relations system from the Fair Work Ombudsman.
- Jobwatch - a Victorian-based community organisation that provides advice on unfair dismissal, ending your employment, harassment, wages, exploitation and other work-related issues.
- Graduate Salaries - an annual survey of Australian citizens and permanent residents who have completed a bachelor degree, are aged less than 25 and are in their first full-time employment.