This Saturday (March 26 2011 from 8:30- 9:30pm) UTAS will turn off its non-essential lights for Earth Hour.
In support of this event UTAS will be undertaking the following actions:
1. Formally registering as a participant to Earth Hour 2011.
2. Turning off non essential lights within all buildings across three main Campuses between 8:30pm-9:30pm Saturday 26 March.
3. Encouraging all staff and students to get involved in the Earth Hour 2011.
What can you do for Earth Hour 2011?
- Sign up for Earth Hour 2011.
- Participate at Work and make sure all non essential lights are switched off in your workplace between 8:30 – 9:30 pm Saturday 26 March 2011.
- Participate at home and rally your friends and family to also get involved.
- Go beyond the hour, commit to taking ongoing personal actions to lighten your environmental footprint.
To celebrate Earth Hour 2011, UTAS’s Accommodation Services, Asset Management Services and Community Friends and Network Programme along with the Tasmanian University Union will be hosting a free public event on Saturday night 26 March, 7:30-9:30pm at the Accommodation Services Amphitheatre, top of College Rd, UTAS Sandy Bay campus.
All staff and students and the public are invited to come and enjoy views of ‘lights out’ over Hobart City while listening to the music of the Deans Stevenson and join in the symbolic gesture of lighting a candle for Earth Hour.
Food will be available for purchase and all are welcome.
“UTAS is committed to playing its part in securing a sustainable future and looks forward to participating in Earth Hour 2011 to demonstrate the need for greater global action on climate change,” UTAS Sustainability Manager, Corey Peterson said.
“UTAS’ participation in Earth Hour 2011 symbolises a commitment to take action on climate change.”
Published on: 23 Mar 2011 10:21am