International Organisations Day is Monday 27 August 2012. For any students interested in working for the UN, this event is a must.
This event is for international organisations to describe the role that they play and the kind of jobs they can offer, and to understand the kind of work experience and qualifications that students will need to gain to join these organisations in the future.
The event is being hosted by the Australian National University and will be webcast across UTAS campuses. There will be three Key Note speakers in the morning and Recruitment Information sessions in the afternoon.
The day will finish with an interactive session with UN Volunteers.
Why Work for International Organisation?
International Organisations can be broadly grouped as intergovernmental organisations; International non‐governmental organisations; and multinational corporations. International Organisations have been established to achieve peace and security, protect human rights, promote economic and social progress, just and democratic governance; and to provide humanitarian assistance.
Career opportunities within international organisations are very diverse, ranging from human rights, disaster management, finance, public policy, and economic development to environmental policy.
- 9.30: Welcome from Australian National University Careers Dept
- 9.40: Official Opening, Elizabeth Deane, Pro Vice Chancellor ANU
Key Note Speeches
- 10am: UNESCAP (United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific), Peter van Laere, Director
- 10.30: RedR Australia (trains people to assist during major disasters & maintains UN aid roster), Alan McLean, CEO
- 11am: UNFPA: United Nations Population Fund, Michael Emery, Director, Division of Human Resources
- 12-12.30 Lunch break
- 12.30-1.30: UN Young Professional Programs Program Recruitment Info
- 1.45-2.45: Asian Development Bank – Career Info
- 3-4pm: UN Population Fund – Career Info
- 4.15-5.15: UN Volunteers Webinar Session
Please join us for any or all of the above sessions.
Rooms are still being finalised, for more information and to reserve your place please log into CareerHub and select the event from the Workshops and Events tab on the right hand side of the CareerHub home page.