This project, conducted by DPI Vic, PFR NZ and TIA, seeks to increase the eco-efficient use of water and nutrients through improving soil health and by further understanding the irrigation requirements of modern high-density apple and pear orchards.
The project will:
· Establish soil carbon status and infer trends over time
· Determine the role of soil carbon in water and nutrient plant availability
· Investigate management techniques to enhance soil health
· Measure and predict evapotranspiration in netted apple orchards and high density pear orchards with varying canopies and tree structures
· Investigate the effects of water deficits on fruit composition.