Bigger Things Coordinator
The role of the Coordinator, Bigger Things
The coordinator manages the day-to-day delivery of the Bigger Things Project to all schools in the Huon Valley Local Government Area by:
- developing regional activities relevant to the needs of local schools
- sourcing additional funding to expand agreed activities
- working with individual schools on the delivery of activities requested by these schools
- working with individual university academic and professional staff, and other professionals to ensure activity content meets the expectations of schools
- working with local community organisations interested in educational attainment of Huon Valley residents.
Stuart Thorn began working at the University of Tasmania as a Community Education Officer with responsibilities for the Bigger Things project, which is delivered across the Huon Valley. He works with members of the local community and schools developing activities and initiatives that build and maintain student interest in education and all it has to offer.
Stuart has extensive experience in economic and community development and has managed a number of Business Enterprise Centres across the state. He has served on boards and committees at a local, state and national level.
Stuart has travelled extensively as a visual artist - having residencies in Banff and Barcelona, and as a community development officer - undertaking a Winston Churchill Travel Scholarship in the mid-2000s.
Career highlights include establishing the first Bendigo Community Banks in Tasmania and being involved with hundreds of small business start-ups around the state.