Bigger Things Regional Officer
The role of the Regional Officer, Bigger Things
As part of the Bigger Things team, the Regional Officer:
- engages with outer-urban, regional and rural communities assisting and supporting students and their families realise and access further education in Tasmania
- assists and supports communities to identify opportunities for families and students to engage with tertiary education, in particular parents/carer-givers with children in Years 5 to 8
- assists communities develop and implement suites of aspirations programs and activities to inform educational aspirations
- assists with and undertakes evaluation strategies
- identifies, writes and submits grant applications for community-based aspiration activities
- is a member of the Australian Research Alliance for Children and Youth, and a number of other community-based working groups.
She has a Master of Teaching and a Bachelor of Adult and Vocational Education from the University of Tasmania, and has been employed at the university since 2014. Marcel brings to her work expertise in teaching and learning in primary, secondary and vocational education and training contexts. These skills allow Marcel to engage with schools and families to deliver activities and projects that inform young Tasmanian's educational aspirations.
As a mother of two teenage children, her area of interest is parental engagement, and how we assist parents/care-givers confidently access resources, information and support that increases their understanding of further education options available to their children.
Marcel is excited to be part of the university's commitment to improving educational attainment in Tasmania.