Education champions and mentors
Bigger Things is designed to ensure that Tasmanian students have the aspiration, support, and skills required to successfully transition from compulsory to tertiary education.
Focusing on a cohort of students from feeder primary schools in the Huonville region, Huonville High School, and Hobart College, over a five-year period (2014-2018) we will trial a range of strategies seeking to improve students' educational aspirations and attainment.
Bigger Things seeks to:
- build aspiration amongst feeder Primary Schools, Huonville High School and Hobart College students for tertiary education
- support parents, caregivers, and the community to build student aspiration for tertiary education.
- identify and minimise logistical and financial barriers to participation in post-compulsory and tertiary education
- promote activities seeking to build capacity and skills required to transition to tertiary education
- support teachers to develop their subject area expertise and become effective champions for tertiary education
- strengthen pathways to tertiary education – both vocational education and training and university.