UniStart aims to help you develop the essential skills required for independent learning and success at University, such as critical thinking, critical reading and academic writing.
UniStart consists of:
- a choice of face-to-face lectures and tutorials or online tutorials and activities before semester begins,
- access to online resources throughout the year, and
- workshops and individual learning skills consultations available throughout the year to support your learning.
Intended learning outcomes
On completion of this unit you should be able to:
- use critical thinking in your university studies;
- access and effectively utilise university learning resources;
- understand the process of preparing a university level assignment and apply this in your assessment;
- demonstrate honesty in your academic work;
- critically reflect on areas of strength and weakness in your academic skills and understanding, to enable you to continue to develop these throughout your degree.
A copy of the 2013 Unit Outline for UniStart is available here: UniStart Unit Outline 2013 (PDF 176KB).
UniStart also provides you with the opportunity to improve your skills in:
- using the UTAS Library effectively;
- using computers effectively for your university study;
- navigating the online environment at UTAS;
- learning from lectures and notetaking;
- participating in tutorials and giving presentations;
- managing your time, study pattern and stress levels, and
- writing formally for university.