Nominations are invited from Academic staff and Professional staff members for election to the University Council. Nominations open on Friday 24 October 2014 and close on Thursday 6 November 2014 at 5pm. Terms of office are for 2 years from 1 January 2015 until 31 December 2016.
Please remember that under the University of Tasmania Act 1992 (sections 8(3) & 9(2)) staff members elected to Council are responsible to the Council itself and are obliged to act in the interests of the University as a whole. They are not 'representatives' of the groups that elect them, but are on Council to add to the perspectives around the Council table.
About the University Council
The University Council is the governing body of the University of Tasmania. The Council includes 1 member elected by and from the academic staff of the University and 1 member elected by and from the professional staff of the University. A list of current members can be found here.
The Council is chaired by the Chancellor, who is appointed by the members.
Council makes decisions in relation to policy and planning, makes University legislation and approves policy documents. It is advised by its committees, its working parties, and (in relation to academic matters) the Academic Senate.
Council's role as determined by Council
The role of the Council is to accept ultimate responsibility for-
- The mission and vision of the University
- Setting strategic directions for the University
- The election of the Chancellor and Deputy Chancellor(s)
- The appointment and performance management of the Vice-Chancellor
- Oversight of management
- Setting and monitoring broad budget and planning framework, ensuring that the University finances are sound, and taking major financial decisions
- Monitoring University performance against strategic objectives
- Setting and critically monitoring Council policy and risk management
- Extending links and communication between the University and the wider community
- Legislative roles, including ensuring that the University is acting ethically and in conformity with all legal requirements
- Council performance and succession planning.
Further information of the role of Council can be found in the document Roles, Rights and Responsibilities of Council Members
2015 Meeting Dates
Council meet 8 times a year and have a planning conference in February. Meetings are held at the Sandy Bay, Newnham and Cradle Coast campuses-
- Friday 13 February (Hobart)
- Friday 27 March (Launceston)
- Friday 8 May (Launceston)
- Friday 26 June (Burnie)
- Friday 31 July (Hobart)
- Friday 11 September (Launceston)
- Friday 30 October (Hobart)
- Friday 11 December (Launceston
There will generally be a dinner and/or other Council function on the afternoon/evening before each Council meeting, including a Foundation Dinner in Hobart, Launceston and Burnie. There is also an annual dinner with the State Cabinet.
- University of Tasmania Act 1992
- Ordinance 84 (Council Elections)
- Rule 107 (Council Elections)
- Council Confidential Information Policy CORP 2.1 [PDF 285KB]
- Council Members Access to Information [Word 28.5KB]
- Roles, Rights and Responsibilities of Council Members [Word 67KB]
How to nominate
Simply fill out the Nomination form and send to the Returning Officer, Secretary to University Council, Private Bag 51, Hobart TASMANIA 7001. Fax: 6226 2923. The closing date for nominations is Thursday 6 November at 5pm.
If you are considering nominating, you should obtain further information on the role of the Council, its committee structure and its membership from the University Council website. Alternatively you may request a copy of this information by contacting Heather Patterson on 6226 2508 or email email@example.com
Please feel free to contact the Secretary to Council, Belinda Webster, or Chancellor, the Hon. Michael Field AC on 6226 1852 if you would like to discuss nominating for membership of the Council.