The University uses Google as its Search Engine. Google has some special features for University website developers:
- Site-specific searches with results that can be displayed inside your site
- Search engine optimisation tips on how you can improve results.
For advice on this and sitemaps for your site, please email Web Services.
Protecting Sensitive Information from Search Engines:
It is important to prevent external search engines from indexing sensitive information. There are several options:
- Don't put the files on a web server in the first place, although this might not suit your business needs, so
- Don't make the files available to everyone - email Web Services to ask for a secure web area
- Server administrators can use a robots.txt file to prevent search engines indexing information
- Web developers use a special meta tag in their web page.
If you have any questions about the University Search Engine, please email Web Services