The University uses Google as its Search Engine. Google has some special features for University website developers:
- Site-specific searches with results that can be displayed inside your site
- Search engine optimisation tips on how you can improve results.
For advice on this and sitemaps for your site, please email Web Services.
Protecting Sensitive Information from Search Engines
It is important to prevent external search engines from indexing sensitive information. There are several options:
- Don't put the files on a web server in the first place, although this might not suit your business needs, so
- Don't make the files available to everyone - email Web Services to ask for a secure web area
- Server administrators can use a robots.txt file to prevent search engines indexing information
- Web developers use a special meta tag in their web page.
If you have any questions about the University Search Engine, please email Web Services