The University of Tasmania's Associate Degree in Dementia Care is the first course of its kind in Australia. The course will improve understanding of the degenerative brain processes associated with dementia and will relate this to providing the very best approach to care.
This course is for families, carers and professionals in the aged care industry looking to develop knowledge, skills and confidence in the provision of care to people living with dementia.
- This course is not available to international students.
- There are no HECS fees for study undertaken in 2013 and your workplace is a member of ACSA and you have the support of your employer.
- If you are a participant in the Healthy Brain Project you may be eligible for a HECS waiver.
About the Course
The course is online and available part-time, supporting students to find balance within their work, study and personal lives.
- Flexible web-based study.
- Only 4-5 contact days per semester for the first four foundation units.
- A dedicated Student Advisor is available to help every step of the way.
- No exams.
In 2013, UTAS will come to you! Lecturers will be attending locations in Newcastle, Sydney, Canberra and Adelaide to deliver the required contact days in the foundation units. Students learn about the concepts of normal ageing, diseases that cause dementia, behaviours associated with the disease and practical strategies to care for people with dementia including challenging situations and behaviours.
Enhance Your Career
- Develop your skills and understanding in the provision of dementia care.
- Learn practical strategies to communicate effectively with people living with dementia and to manage challenging behaviours and situations.
- Place yourself at the forefront of the caring profession, providing opportunities for promotion or be in a position to negotiate a higher wage. (Refer to Living Longer Living Better: Addressing Workforce Pressures Initiative.)
- Take a pathway to further study at UTAS.
+61 3 6231 3100
|ACSA NSW and ACT||
+61 2 8754 0400
|ACSA SA and NT||
+61 8 8338 7111
|Australian and New Zealand Prospective Student Enquiries||
1300 363 864
|Andrea Carr, Acting Course Coordinator||
+61 3 6226 4667
|Amanda Harper, Student Advisor||
+61 3 6226 2918