If you have received an offer you may be eligible to apply for a deferral. Deferrals are not available in all courses and are strictly limited in some others. If the course you have received an offer in is deferrable, you will have the option to defer your place when you accept your offer.
A deferral applies if you have not commenced your course of study and is for a period of 12-month delay in course commencement. If you are only looking to delay your studies by 6 months (1 semester), there is no need to request a deferral.
Applications for deferral are made through eApplication prior to the relevant census date.
Once a deferral request is submitted and processed, you will be notified via email to check in your online application system for the outcome of your application request.
Deferrals will only be granted to students who meet one of the following criteria:
- an ATAR (Australian Tertiary Admission Rank) of at least 75; or
- a completed International Baccalaureate Diploma with a score of at least 26; or
- a University Grade Point Average (GPA) of at least 5;
- are not currently studying at UTAS or elsewhere in another course;
- are not applying for a consecutive year; or
- do not have current deferral in another course.
If you are not eligible for a deferral, there are several options available, including enrolling part-time or commencing in second semester.