As outlined in recent Alumni eNews updates, over the last twelve months the Alumni Office has undertaken a formal review of Ordinance 11 (PDF 28.6 KB), with particular focus on the operations and structure of the Alumni Committee to assess its suitability to service the needs of alumni and the wider university now and into the future.
Throughout the review process, extensive consultation has taken place with the current Alumni Committee members, senior staff and alumni globally. Overall some wonderful feedback has been received that is highly supportive of repositioning the Alumni Committee in order to better meet the needs of our members.
With the review process now completed, a final Committee proposal will be formally submitted to the University senior leadership for consideration in late June. Owing to very recent feedback and after careful consideration of this, you will note that we will be proposing a slightly expanded Committee model (from that communicated last month) to enable all faculties and institutes and associated alumni to be represented.
In summary again, this proposal seeks to provide for a:
- combination of elected and appointed committee members;
- professionally focussed and led committee;
- more integrated committee within the wider University context AND
- more clearly defined set of committee goals and purpose;
These proposed changes will lead to a committee model that:
- is more inclusive of, and integrated within, the wider university community;
- can better meet the future needs and aspirations of our university community globally;
- encourages optimal and more meaningful lifelong engagement with our alumni AND
- provides a forum where the 'voice' of alumni continues to be represented
Subject to formal approval, we will seek to hold elections for the three alumni member positions at the Alumni Annual General Meeting in November and I encourage alumni to consider nominating for the Committee as we enter what promises to be an exciting new era for the Committee and alumni engagement generally at the University.
Should you have any questions or require any further information feel free to contact me at Alumni.Office@utas.edu.au.
Thank you to all our alumni and supporters who have taken the time to share their ideas, passions and insights throughout what has been a very constructive review process.
With kind regards,
Associate Director, Alumni Relations
University of Tasmania