Skip to content

Overseas Study

An overseas study program gives you the opportunity to experience different cultures, study languages, undertake work placement or internships, make new friends and explore the world while receiving credit toward your degree. It provides a 'total immersion' experience in a variety of study areas and locations. You can choose a program length that suits you, from a 2-week fieldtrip, a short-term summer program to a full semester (or two).

The College of Arts, Law and Education (CALE) Short Term Programs comprise language and cultural studies programs as well as a range of other programs (delivered in English language) in diverse fields, including Media and Communications, Asian Studies, and Buddhist Philosophy. Many of these programs are supported by Commonwealth Government scholarships such as the New Colombo Plan mobility grants or other UTAS or College funding to offset living and transport costs of studying overseas.

There is also a wide range of Exchange and Outbound Study Abroad programs offered by our many partner institutions across the world. These may be intensive programs over the summer or winter break (e.g. some CIS Australia or AIM overseas), or semester-long programs.

You don’t have to be studying in a CALE course to take advantage of these opportunities. If your course offers student electives, or Experience and Engagement units, you may be able still be able to participate. To find out more about your eligibility, check that you meet any prerequisites for the program and consult the program coordinator and/or UConnect.

Students must be 18 years old or over in order to be eligible for any of the overseas study programs.

The benefits of Overseas Study

  • Get UTAS credit while you study and travel overseas
  • Add a new dimension to your UTAS study area by studying in a different cultural and academic environment
  • Make friends for life through shared experience of studying together, often with a multicultural student cohort
  • Learn a different language through immersion in real, everyday living in the local language environment
  • Understand more about (and gain new perspectives on) yourself, your own cultural identity, your strengths and skills in the face of unfamiliar environments or challenges
  • Gain new and exciting experiences as a tertiary student which may change your life direction or open doors to different futures
  • Equip yourself with knowledge, expertise and experience that makes you an interesting and multi-skilled candidate for future jobs. See Putting Your International Experience to Work

Types of Overseas Study Programs

Putting Your International Experience to Work

Especially with respect to your future career, remember that it is important not just to cite international experience on your CV or resume, but to be able to articulate to any potential future employer the skills you acquired and to provide examples of how you have demonstrated those skills in real life. You may often not be conscious that you have developed skills such as resilience, communication, flexibility, so you should map the journey in order to be aware of the “before” and “after” of your international experience.

Putting your International Experience to Work: Learning & Teaching specialists at UTAS, together with partners at Murdoch University and Wollongong University, have made it easier for you to do this by developing a website to help students explore the value of their overseas experience, particularly in the context of career planning and employment. We strongly encourage you to take a look at the website, work through the modules of “Preparing”, “Being There” and “Coming Back” so that you can make the most of your overseas study to enhance your future job prospects.

Preparing for Your Overseas Study Program

Start early by reading up about the program and talking it over with your lecturer and/or the program coordinator. Make sure that you familiarise yourself with the requirements of the study program and have everything you need before you leave.

The steps that you need to take in order to prepare for your overseas study program are outlined in the College of Arts, Law, and Education Pre-Travel Advice (PDF 47KB) and will also be posted by the program coordinator in the MyLO site (if applicable).

If the program is administered through MyLO (the UTAS student online learning system) be sure to log in regularly and complete the prescribed pre-departure learning activities, steps and procedures.

Plan your finances carefully and make sure you have access to extra for emergencies (which is separate from the money you might take for shopping).

Costs & Financial Assistance

The costs for each program (which may include flights, accommodation, living expenses, excursions, visa, and in some cases tuition fees) vary according to the type of program. So be sure to look carefully at the details of the program you are interested in. Some assistance is available through outbound mobility grants or scholarships and OS HELP*. Be prepared to pay for air tickets and other costs up front as the processes for applying and receiving funding can be lengthy.

Financial Assistance

Financial assistance is available to Australian citizens (and certain others) through OS HELP*, which is a Commonwealth Government funding scheme that permits eligible students to access up to two OS-HELP loans for overseas study. These loans are accumulated into higher education debts such as HECS-HELP debts and repaid by the student in the same way as such debts. More details can be obtained from the Commonwealth Government's guidelines.

You may be eligible to combine OS-HELP loan with scholarship funding from any one of the following:

(* Not available to international students)

Please refer to each program page for more information.

UTAS Student Travel Insurance

Overseas study program students are eligible for cover by the University of Tasmania’s Student Travel Insurance policy for the duration of the program (up to 180 days).

The UTAS Student Insurer is Chubb Insurance Company of Australia Ltd and the Policy Number is 93123528:

Cover under the policy is granted subject to the following conditions:

  • That you read and consider the policy and its benefits carefully to decide whether the cover is adequate for your needs. If the cover does not meet your needs you are strongly advised to take out a separate personal travel cover. Please note for example that pre-existing medical conditions are not covered by the UTAS Student Travel insurance and you must notify the University’s Insurance Office (see contact details below) of pre-existing medical conditions prior to any travel being undertaken;
  • That your participation in the study program is your primary reason for travel. Depending on the length of your program, you may be covered for up to several days either side of the program start and end dates for travel. If you wish to travel in addition to this, you may have to take out a separate and private travel insurance policy. If in doubt, please check with University’s Insurance Office (see contact details below);
  • Please note that there is an excess of $250.00 on each claim.

Please advise any pre-existing medical conditions, and refer any specific questions about the policy or any queries regarding your level of cover to the University’s Insurance Office.

Travel Approval Request Through Locomote

If you are a College of Arts, Law and Education student seeking to go overseas as part of study abroad, exchange or other overseas program you are required to seek a Travel Approval for your international travel that is generated through the University’s travel management system called “Locomote”.

Locomote is the online tool for both travel approval and travel bookings through the University’s preferred travel provider. These bookings assume that travel costs are met through University funding and in this case the available transport options are set by the preferred provider.

Most students, however, will be using their own funds to make travel purchases and will not therefore be required to make a travel booking through Locomote. However, even if you are paying for your own travel, you still need to get travel approval by generating a travel approval request through the Locomote system.

This requires you to:

  1. fill in the College’s Travel Approval Support Form;
  2. create a Locomote profile;
  3. generate an approval request through Locomote for an “externally funded” trip request.

Please refer to the Locomote How to Guide for Students and the Travel Approval Support Request Form that will be provided by your unit coordinator or you can contact the Student Mobility.

International SOS & ‘My Trips’ Travel Tracker

The University of Tasmania is partnered with International SOS (a leading medical assistance, international healthcare and security assistance company) to provide international 24/7 on call, online and even on the ground assistance with any medical, security and logistical questions, concerns and situations that may arise. So if you need a medical referral, seek pre-travel advice or experience a medical or security crisis, University of Tasmania has a fully integrated program in place so you receive the care and expertise that you need. International SOS also provides extensive country-specific general, security and medical information and advisory services on its website as well as the International SOS emergency card with emergency contact details, which students should print and carry with them overseas. Additionally, a mobile device app is available to enable travellers to get the latest information and emergency alerts.

Prepare yourself by browsing through the International SOS medical and security online tools and signing up for alerts.

When travel is booked through the University’s preferred travel agent, the traveller’s itinerary is automatically notified to International SOS in order that the traveller’s whereabouts can be identified in case of an emergency at the travel destination. If you are travelling for study purposes to an overseas program and make your own travel arrangements, it is important that you notify International SOS of the travel itinerary by visiting the International SOS website above and entering your details in the “My Trips” portal.

Refer to the My Trips User Guide (PDF 2.1MB) if you need assistance with set-up and use of the My Trips service.

Note that registration of your itinerary on My Trips is in addition to any obligation to notify your unit coordinator of your travel plan. It is your responsibility to keep your itinerary updated on the My Trips portal in the event of any changes to your travel plan (and in this case please follow the instructions on the International SOS website regarding any update of your itinerary).

Contacting International SOS Assistance Centres

Contact an International SOS Assistance Center at any time if you have any questions about the program, International SOS benefits, or the services available to you.

Although members can contact any International SOS Assistance Center at any time, we recommend that you contact the closest lead Assistance Center in case you need emergency medical information once you are stabilised. As a general guideline, we recommend:

If calling from: Call Assistance Center in: At this number: **
Australia, Asia or the Pacific Rim Sydney Call collect: 61-2-9372-2468
U.S. or Canada Philadelphia, PA 1-800-523-6586
Call collect: 1-215-942-8226
Europe, CIS, Africa or the Middle East London Call collect: 44-208-762-8008

** Be sure to know the country's outbound international dialling code before travelling to that country.

If you would like further information or to download the ISOS App or find a card with further details of all numbers see the International SOS website.