Today’s HR professionals are expected to understand and practice human resource management that is strategically aligned with organizational goals and creates value for the organization. This unit integrates theory and research to develop students understanding of evidence-based human resource management and their professional skills in human resource management practice. The development of an organization's human resources is widely recognized as a critical component in gaining competitive advantage in the global marketplace. Developing people’s capabilities in diverse contexts is thus a vital contribution by HR professionals to the continuous improvement of an organization’s workforce. The unit focuses on 4 modules that cover
- The Australian context of HRM
- Performance Management System
- Employee Remuneration System
- Human Resource Development (HRD)
- Human Resource Analytics
|Unit name||Human Resource Management in Action|
|Faculty/School||College of Business & Economics
Tasmanian School of Business and Economics
|Available as student elective?||Yes|
|Location||Study period||Attendance options||Available to|
|Hobart||Semester 2||On-Campus||Off-Campus||International International||Domestic Domestic|
- International students
- Domestic students
Please check that your computer meets the minimum System Requirements if you are attending via Distance/Off-Campus.
Units are offered in attending mode unless otherwise indicated (that is attendance is required at the campus identified). A unit identified as offered by distance, that is there is no requirement for attendance, is identified with a nominal enrolment campus. A unit offered to both attending students and by distance from the same campus is identified as having both modes of study.
Special approval is required for enrolment into TNE Program units.
|Study Period||Start date||Census date||WW date||End date|
* The Final WW Date is the final date from which you can withdraw from the unit without academic penalty, however you will still incur a financial liability (see withdrawal dates explained for more information).
Unit census dates currently displaying for 2020 are indicative and subject to change. Finalised census dates for 2020 will be available from the 1st October 2020.
- LO1: Explain knowledge of Performance Management, Employee Remuneration, Training and Development, and HR Analytics.
- LO2: Use analytical, critical and reflective thinking to analyse and design a Performance Management Plan.
- LO3: Critically analyse an Employee Remuneration System and and make recommendations to enhance the system.
- LO4: Perform independently and collaboratively in diverse teams to complete allocated HR tasks.
|Band||CSP Student Contribution||Full Fee Paying (domestic)||Field of Education|
|3||2020: $1,394.00||2020: $2,702.00||080303|
Fees for next year will be published in October. The fees above only apply for the year shown.
Please note: international students should refer to this page to get an indicative course cost.
On-campus: 1 x 3 hour workshop per week. Please check the unit outline for details.
Workshop (10%), Performance Management Plan (30%), Case Study (20%), Final exam (40%).
|Timetable||View the lecture timetable | View the full unit timetable|
The University reserves the right to amend or remove courses and unit availabilities, as appropriate.