Hobart, Launceston, Cradle Coast
This unit has been discontinued.
In this unit you will develop the mathematical knowledge, skills, and confidence essential for further University study. In particular, you will explore and apply methods for:
- Gathering, presenting and analysing numerical information (data, graphs, statistics)
- Reasoning about relative proportions (ratios, scaling, percentages, fractions)
- Thinking about numbers and abstract patterns (algebraic reasoning)
The focus is on developing skills in these areas and using numerical reasoning to identify and analyse problems, draw and justify conclusions, and make sense of real-life situations.
|Unit name||Academic Numeracy|
Pragati Jain, Cathy Tyson
|Available as student elective?||No|
Please check that your computer meets the minimum System Requirements if you are attending via Distance/Off-Campus.
Units are offered in attending mode unless otherwise indicated (that is attendance is required at the campus identified). A unit identified as offered by distance, that is there is no requirement for attendance, is identified with a nominal enrolment campus. A unit offered to both attending students and by distance from the same campus is identified as having both modes of study.
Special approval is required for enrolment into TNE Program units.
* The Final WW Date is the final date from which you can withdraw from the unit without academic penalty, however you will still incur a financial liability (see withdrawal dates explained for more information).
- Examine research and data to communicate mathematical ideas and information
- Critically analyse and evaluate information and data
- Use mathematical techniques to solve problems
2 hour workshop and 1 hour tutorial weekly.
AT1: The Research Process and Understanding Data (45%)
AT2: Proportional and Algebraic Reasoning (40%)
AT3: Ten MyLO (online) quizzes (15%)
|Timetable||View the lecture timetable | View the full unit timetable|
No required text
The University reserves the right to amend or remove courses and unit availabilities, as appropriate.