This unit introduces students to a range of frameworks and accreditation standards for trainers and teachers in applied learning settings. It equips students with the fundamental tools required to maximize learning in range of educational environments. The concepts of collegial constructive criticism and mentoring will be integral to this unit, and students will gain valuable knowledge in these critical processes through an analysis of their own professional strengths. This unit will also introduce students to ePortfolios, and enable them to develop the skills required to create a professional artifact, aligned with their particular context or guiding framework. Skills in this unit will equip students for ongoing professional development and learning as they progress in their course and career.
|Unit name||Foundations of Professional Learning|
|College/School||College of Arts, Law and Education
Faculty of Education
|Coordinator||Ms Laura Russian|
|Available as an elective?||No|
|Delivered By||University of Tasmania|
|Location||Study period||Attendance options||Available to|
- International students
- Domestic students
Please check that your computer meets the minimum System Requirements if you are attending via Distance/Off-Campus.
Units are offered in attending mode unless otherwise indicated (that is attendance is required at the campus identified). A unit identified as offered by distance, that is there is no requirement for attendance, is identified with a nominal enrolment campus. A unit offered to both attending students and by distance from the same campus is identified as having both modes of study.
|Study Period||Start date||Census date||WW date||End date|
* The Final WW Date is the final date from which you can withdraw from the unit without academic penalty, however you will still incur a financial liability (refer to How do I withdraw from a unit? for more information).
Unit census dates currently displaying for 2023 are indicative and subject to change. Finalised census dates for 2023 will be available from the 1st October 2022. Note census date cutoff is 11.59pm AEST (AEDT during October to March).
- reflect on personal and professional capabilities and constructive feedback, and identify and justify resources for professional learning.
- apply professional teaching standards to define and analyse pedagogy.
- apply ePortfolio and other digital tools to portray rich evidence of teaching practice aligned with professional standards
- apply ethical and academic integrity principles to the use of information in order to manage and communicate ideas, complex concepts, and specialised knowledge to an intended audience.
|Field of Education||Commencing Student Contribution 1||Grandfathered Student Contribution 1||Approved Pathway Course Student Contribution 2||Domestic Full Fee|
1 Please refer to more information on student contribution amounts.
2 Please refer to more information on eligibility and Approved Pathway courses.
3 Please refer to more information on eligibility for HECS-HELP.
4 Please refer to more information on eligibility for FEE-HELP.
Please note: international students should refer to What is an indicative Fee? to get an indicative course cost.
|Assessment||Test or quiz (5%)|Portfolio (50%)|Essay (45%)|
|Timetable||View the lecture timetable | View the full unit timetable|
Required readings will be listed in the unit outline prior to the start of classes.
|Links||Booktopia textbook finder|
The University reserves the right to amend or remove courses and unit availabilities, as appropriate.