Minimum enrolment number of 12 apply to this offering. Should enrolments not reach the minimum number required for on-campus study; students may be transferred to the on-line offering and advised of this change before semester commences.
This unit is designed to help you further develop your knowledge and skills for the teaching of English. With a focus on secondary and senior secondary curriculum, this unit covers an examination of curriculum goals and content, text selection, program sequencing, and teaching strategies. You will develop knowledge of the sophisticated nature of senior secondary English studies and knowledge of the pedagogical practices needed for the implementation of major aspects of English content in your classroom. Special emphasis is placed on the pedagogical content knowledge teachers require for effective planning and teaching subject English. This unit is both theoretical and practical in nature.
|Unit name||Advanced English Studies in Secondary and Senior Secondary School|
|College/School||College of Arts, Law and Education
Faculty of Education
|Coordinator||Doctor Belinda Hopwood|
|Delivered By||University of Tasmania|
|Location||Study period||Attendance options||Available to|
- International students
- Domestic students
Please check that your computer meets the minimum System Requirements if you are attending via Distance/Off-Campus.
Units are offered in attending mode unless otherwise indicated (that is attendance is required at the campus identified). A unit identified as offered by distance, that is there is no requirement for attendance, is identified with a nominal enrolment campus. A unit offered to both attending students and by distance from the same campus is identified as having both modes of study.
|Study Period||Start date||Census date||WW date||End date|
* The Final WW Date is the final date from which you can withdraw from the unit without academic penalty, however you will still incur a financial liability (refer to How do I withdraw from a unit? for more information).
Unit census dates currently displaying for 2024 are indicative and subject to change. Finalised census dates for 2024 will be available from the 1st October 2023. Note census date cutoff is 11.59pm AEST (AEDT during October to March).
- Demonstrate understanding of best practice in teaching English.
- Critique resources and strategies appropriate to teaching secondary English.
- Create a selection of resources and strategies appropriate for classroom use.
- Apply sophisticated knowledge of curriculum content and classroom teaching.
- Identify factors that influence student development in English.
- Communicate using appropriate academic and information literacy skills.
The 2024 Commonwealth Supported Place (CSP) rates are still being finalised by the Government and we will update the domestic fee information as soon as we have more details.
|Assessment||Test (10%)|Assignment (40%)|Assignment (50%)|
|Timetable||View the lecture timetable | View the full unit timetable|
Required readings will be listed in the unit outline prior to the start of classes.
|Links||Booktopia textbook finder|
The University reserves the right to amend or remove courses and unit availabilities, as appropriate.