This unit introduces you to the foundations of second language acquisition. It has been designed to introduce you to the role of Languages within the curriculum, second language acquisition theories, an appreciation of the relevance of intercultural understanding, links to first language learning and to clarify your thoughts and your role as an educator with regard to Languages education within the early childhood and primary sectors. In this unit, you will consider how language is acquired, how the intercultural orientation of languages learning leads to an appreciation of cultural issues and perspectives and introduces the beginnings of critical thinking around the key contemporary debates around languages education and their role in languages learning. By developing understandings of the nature of languages learning, you will begin to engage in close studies of resources and consider the implications for learning.
|Unit name||Languages and Language Acquisition|
|College/School||College of Arts, Law and Education
Faculty of Education
|Coordinator||Doctor Andy Bown|
|Available as an elective?||No|
|Delivered By||University of Tasmania|
|Location||Study period||Attendance options||Available to|
|Cradle Coast||Semester 1||On-Campus||International||Domestic|
- International students
- Domestic students
Please check that your computer meets the minimum System Requirements if you are attending via Distance/Off-Campus.
Units are offered in attending mode unless otherwise indicated (that is attendance is required at the campus identified). A unit identified as offered by distance, that is there is no requirement for attendance, is identified with a nominal enrolment campus. A unit offered to both attending students and by distance from the same campus is identified as having both modes of study.
|Study Period||Start date||Census date||WW date||End date|
* The Final WW Date is the final date from which you can withdraw from the unit without academic penalty, however you will still incur a financial liability (refer to How do I withdraw from a unit? for more information).
Unit census dates currently displaying for 2024 are indicative and subject to change. Finalised census dates for 2024 will be available from the 1st October 2023. Note census date cutoff is 11.59pm AEST (AEDT during October to March).
- Apply knowledge of: the role and value of additional language learning as an integral part of learning; the links between first and second language learning; the relevance of cultural understandings within a languages program.
- describe the nature and development of languages learning.
- select and justify suitable resources for teaching and learning.
- explain your role in supporting active learning pedagogies and purposeful conversations, focusing on languages learning.
The 2024 Commonwealth Supported Place (CSP) rates are still being finalised by the Government and we will update the domestic fee information as soon as we have more details.
PrerequisitesESH110 or EPR110
|Assessment||Test (10%)|Reflection (40%)|Report (50%)|
|Timetable||View the lecture timetable | View the full unit timetable|
Required readings will be listed in the unit outline prior to the start of classes.
|Links||Booktopia textbook finder|
The University reserves the right to amend or remove courses and unit availabilities, as appropriate.