In this unit, you will examine the processes and pedagogy of design and applied learning. Information will be presented about the continuum of design and technology, opportunities for learning and problem solving through designing and making, investigating and devising solutions for better futures. The unit exposes you to teaching, learning and planning issues relating to the discipline of design, considering the way in which we can communicate with others through the items we create and the way we learn about ourselves, our interests and unique abilities through the objects we design and make.
|Unit name||Design and Technologies|
|College/School||College of Arts, Law and Education
Faculty of Education
|Coordinator||Mrs Jillian Brandsema|
|Available as an elective?||No|
|Delivered By||University of Tasmania|
|Location||Study period||Attendance options||Available to|
|Launceston||Semester 1||On-Campus||Off-Campus||International International||Domestic Domestic|
|Cradle Coast||Semester 1||On-Campus||International||Domestic|
- International students
- Domestic students
|Study Period||Start date||Census date||WW date||End date|
* The Final WW Date is the final date from which you can withdraw from the unit without academic penalty, however you will still incur a financial liability (refer to How do I withdraw from a unit? for more information).
Unit census dates currently displaying for 2022 are indicative and subject to change. Finalised census dates for 2022 will be available from the 1st October 2021. Note census date cutoff is 11.59pm AEST (AEDT during October to March).
- Demonstrate basic technology skills by creating, manipulating and sharing drawn and digital files.
- Evaluate designed artefacts and demonstrate knowledge of the historical, cultural and social embeddedness of technologies through object selection and research.
- Identify a range of pedagogical approaches, and evaluate resources appropriate for design and technology teaching and learning.
- Consolidate understanding of integration of cross-curriculum components through the development of an integrated learning plan and design challenge.
|Field of Education||Commencing Student Contribution 1,3||Grandfathered Student Contribution 1,3||Approved Pathway Course Student Contribution 2,3||Domestic Full Fee 4|
1 Please refer to more information on student contribution amounts.
2 Please refer to more information on eligibility and Approved Pathway courses.
3 Please refer to more information on eligibility for HECS-HELP.
4 Please refer to more information on eligibility for FEE-HELP.
Please note: international students should refer to What is an indicative Fee? to get an indicative course cost.
PrerequisitesESH102 or EDU102
|Assessment||Test or quiz (10%)|Test or quiz (10%)|Plan (40%)|Portfolio (40%)|
|Timetable||View the lecture timetable | View the full unit timetable|
Required readings will be listed in the unit outline prior to the start of classes.
|Links||Booktopia textbook finder|
The University reserves the right to amend or remove courses and unit availabilities, as appropriate.