The aim of this unit is to equip you with the knowledge and ability to design and implement training programs for a range of populations with varying health and fitness goals. This unit will cover modules incorporating professionalism and safety in educational environments, fitness instruction and health testing, providing nutritional information, working with special populations, and fundamental skill analysis. Health and Physical Activity provides a foundation for you to develop the skills required to work as a health and fitness professional in a number of different contexts.
|Unit name||Health & Physical Activity|
|College/School||College of Arts, Law and Education
Faculty of Education
|Coordinator||Doctor Vaughan Cruickshank|
|Available as an elective?||Yes|
|Delivered By||University of Tasmania|
|Location||Study period||Attendance options||Available to|
- International students
- Domestic students
Please check that your computer meets the minimum System Requirements if you are attending via Distance/Off-Campus.
Units are offered in attending mode unless otherwise indicated (that is attendance is required at the campus identified). A unit identified as offered by distance, that is there is no requirement for attendance, is identified with a nominal enrolment campus. A unit offered to both attending students and by distance from the same campus is identified as having both modes of study.
|Study Period||Start date||Census date||WW date||End date|
* The Final WW Date is the final date from which you can withdraw from the unit without academic penalty, however you will still incur a financial liability (refer to How do I withdraw from a unit? for more information).
Unit census dates currently displaying for 2024 are indicative and subject to change. Finalised census dates for 2024 will be available from the 1st October 2023. Note census date cutoff is 11.59pm AEST (AEDT during October to March).
- explain fitness knowledge and understanding through health screening, health assessment, and gym programming.
- demonstrate understanding of how to work effectively in sport and recreation environments, through the application occupational health and safety policies.
- provide healthy eating information in accordance with recommended guidelines to a broad audience.
- develop and apply an awareness of specific populations to exercise delivery.
- plan and deliver group exercise to broad populations.
The 2024 Commonwealth Supported Place (CSP) rates are still being finalised by the Government and we will update the domestic fee information as soon as we have more details.
|Assessment||Core Fitness and Exercise Proficiencies (20%)|Water-based fitness presentation (30%)|Final Exam (50%)|
|Timetable||View the lecture timetable | View the full unit timetable|
Required readings will be listed in the unit outline prior to the start of classes.
|Links||Booktopia textbook finder|
The University reserves the right to amend or remove courses and unit availabilities, as appropriate.