This unit focuses on introductory skills and knowledge central to technical production for the theatre. It includes an introduction to the duties and skills required by technical support staff in theatre venues as well as the organisational skills appropriate to the preparation and execution of stage lighting, sound and mechanical departments. Students engage in the practice of safety procedures for responsible theatre operation.
|Unit name||The Theatre Machine|
|Faculty/School||College of Arts, Law and Education
School of Creative Arts and Media
Dr Asher Warren
Dr Asher Warren
|Available as student elective?||Yes|
Please check that your computer meets the minimum System Requirements if you are attending via Distance/Off-Campus.
Units are offered in attending mode unless otherwise indicated (that is attendance is required at the campus identified). A unit identified as offered by distance, that is there is no requirement for attendance, is identified with a nominal enrolment campus. A unit offered to both attending students and by distance from the same campus is identified as having both modes of study.
Special approval is required for enrolment into TNE Program units.
* The Final WW Date is the final date from which you can withdraw from the unit without academic penalty, however you will still incur a financial liability (see withdrawal dates explained for more information).
1. Implement safety procedures of responsible theatre operation.
2. Use basic terminology, equipment and techniques for theatre production.
3. Integrate technical theatre elements as part of an interpretive stage design.
4. Investigate key technical developments and/or practitioners in regard to theatrical production.
Workshops - 3 hours per week for 12 weeks
Task 1: Complete WHS (Work, Health & Safety) induction, risk assessment and follow safe operational procedures throughout semester (20%)
Task 2: Design Proposal, 1000 words (30%)
Task 3: Design Implementation (30%)
Task 4: In-class Presentation and summary (20%)
|Timetable||View the lecture timetable | View the full unit timetable|
The University reserves the right to amend or remove courses and unit availabilities, as appropriate.