Sculpture and Time Based Media (STBM) 2B is focussed on Interactive and Participatory Installation through studio-based creative exploration and investigation of historical precursors and current practice and related discourse.
Second year STBM involves deep engagement with objects, making processes, electronic and time-based media such as those concerning moving image, sound and performance.
STBM 2B will facilitate self-directed enquiry to expand your capacity to think, make, listen, reflect, and learn through imaginative investigative approaches to creative practice. You will explore combinations of sculpture, installation and electronic and time-based media. Study of this unit will develop your skills in the use of space, sculpture, construction, moving image, sound, animation, performance and projection.
Staff and technicians will support self-directed investigations. You will work alone and in collaboration with others, learn to critique and contextualise new and traditional techniques and diverse approaches to contemporary art practice in STBM. You will apply appropriate safe work practices.
|Unit name||Sculpture & Time-Based Media 2B|
|College/School||College of Arts, Law and Education
School of Creative Arts and Media
|Coordinator||Doctor Steven Carson|
|Available as student elective?||Yes|
|Delivered By||University of Tasmania|
|Location||Study period||Attendance options||Available to|
- International students
- Domestic students
Please check that your computer meets the minimum System Requirements if you are attending via Distance/Off-Campus.
Units are offered in attending mode unless otherwise indicated (that is attendance is required at the campus identified). A unit identified as offered by distance, that is there is no requirement for attendance, is identified with a nominal enrolment campus. A unit offered to both attending students and by distance from the same campus is identified as having both modes of study.
|Study Period||Start date||Census date||WW date||End date|
* The Final WW Date is the final date from which you can withdraw from the unit without academic penalty, however you will still incur a financial liability (see withdrawal dates explained for more information).
Unit census dates currently displaying for 2022 are indicative and subject to change. Finalised census dates for 2022 will be available from the 1st October 2021.
- Develop sculpture, time based media and installation skills and techniques in relation to interactive & participatory installation, with a focus on resolution and refinement
- Explore diverse approaches to¿sculpture, time based media and installation in relation to interactive & participatory installation, with a focus on resolution and refinement
- Evaluate¿your experience and outcomes in relation to the¿broader disciplines¿of¿sculpture, time based media and installation, with a focus on resolution and refinement
- Identify and follow WHS practices relevant to sculpture, time based media and installation techniques, materials, equipment and workspaces.
|Field of Education||Commencing Student Contribution 1||Grandfathered Student Contribution 1||Approved Pathway Course Student Contribution 2||Domestic Full Fee|
- Available as a Commonwealth Supported Place
- HECS-HELP is available on this unit, depending on your eligibility3
- FEE-HELP is available on this unit, depending on your eligibility4
1 Please refer here more information on student contribution amounts.
2 Information on eligibility and Approved Pathway courses can be found here
3 Please refer here for eligibility for HECS-HELP
4 Please refer here for eligibility for FEE-HELP
Please note: international students should refer to this page to get an indicative course cost.
PrerequisitesFSF114 Sculpture and Time-Based Media 1; FSS111 Sculpture 1; FSE111 Time Based Media 1
You cannot enrol in this unit as well as the following:FSE215 |FSS215
On Campus (Hobart and Launceston)
Weekly workshop (3 hrs).
Plus an additional 7 hours engagement with unit content and self-directed learning per week
|Assessment||Task 3: Final Folio: Self-Initiated Artwork, Journal and Written Artist Statement (50%)|Task 2: Artwork Responding to a Brief and Written Refection (30%)|Task 1: Creative Response and Context Presentation (20%)|
|Timetable||View the lecture timetable | View the full unit timetable|
Required readings will be listed in the unit outline prior to the start of classes.
|Links||Booktopia textbook finder|
The University reserves the right to amend or remove courses and unit availabilities, as appropriate.