This unit focuses on the development of image-making strategies using paint as the primary medium. Via a focus on image construction and pictorial space, you will explore ideas and concepts in response to a brief.
As well as learning about the history of painting, in terms of ideas and techniques, you will broaden your understanding and engagement with the diverse materials, methodologies and processes associated with contemporary painting practice.
Through collaborative group tasks and individual tasks, you will develop your ability to experiment with materials, through iterative processes and idea development with a view to developing an innovative and inquiring work practice.
Guided by staff, students are encouraged to develop independent learning strategies towards the development of individual expression and self- directed learning.
|Unit name||Painting 2A|
|College/School||College of Arts, Law and Education
School of Creative Arts and Media
|Coordinator||Doctor Neil Haddon|
|Available as an elective?||Yes|
|Delivered By||University of Tasmania|
|Location||Study period||Attendance options||Available to|
- International students
- Domestic students
Please check that your computer meets the minimum System Requirements if you are attending via Distance/Off-Campus.
Units are offered in attending mode unless otherwise indicated (that is attendance is required at the campus identified). A unit identified as offered by distance, that is there is no requirement for attendance, is identified with a nominal enrolment campus. A unit offered to both attending students and by distance from the same campus is identified as having both modes of study.
|Study Period||Start date||Census date||WW date||End date|
* The Final WW Date is the final date from which you can withdraw from the unit without academic penalty, however you will still incur a financial liability (refer to How do I withdraw from a unit? for more information).
Unit census dates currently displaying for 2024 are indicative and subject to change. Finalised census dates for 2024 will be available from the 1st October 2023. Note census date cutoff is 11.59pm AEST (AEDT during October to March).
- Explore and evaluate diverse approaches to conceptual and practical experimentation in paint media
- Critically discuss your own and others’ work in relation to broader contexts and discourse
- Apply iterative approaches to pictorial space and image construction to develop an inquiring work practice.
- Identify and follow WHS practices relevant to painting techniques, materials, equipment and workspaces.
- Work collaboratively, constructively, and respectfully within group and individual learning contexts
The 2024 Commonwealth Supported Place (CSP) rates are still being finalised by the Government and we will update the domestic fee information as soon as we have more details.
You cannot enrol in this unit as well as the following:FSP212 AND FSP211 AND FSP282 AND FSP281
3hr weekly studio session that comprises presentations, technical workshops, discussion and individual work
|Assessment||Task 1: Introductory Project. (20%)|Task 2: Preliminary Studies (30%)|Task 3: The Finished Work (50%)|
|Timetable||View the lecture timetable | View the full unit timetable|
Required readings will be listed in the unit outline prior to the start of classes.
|Links||Booktopia textbook finder|
The University reserves the right to amend or remove courses and unit availabilities, as appropriate.