This unit introduces provides students with the opportunity to explore fiction writing both through their own practice and through the analysis of published works. Topics for study will include such foundational aspects of writing craft as narrative scope and structure, point of view, voice, characterisation, dialogue and setting.
|Unit name||Creative Writing Workshop 1|
|Faculty/School||College of Arts, Law and Education
School of Humanities
Dr Danielle Wood
|Available as student elective?||Yes|
|Location||Study period||Attendance options||Available to|
- International students
- Domestic students
Please check that your computer meets the minimum System Requirements if you are attending via Distance/Off-Campus.
Units are offered in attending mode unless otherwise indicated (that is attendance is required at the campus identified). A unit identified as offered by distance, that is there is no requirement for attendance, is identified with a nominal enrolment campus. A unit offered to both attending students and by distance from the same campus is identified as having both modes of study.
Special approval is required for enrolment into TNE Program units.
|Study Period||Start date||Census date||WW date||End date|
* The Final WW Date is the final date from which you can withdraw from the unit without academic penalty, however you will still incur a financial liability (see withdrawal dates explained for more information).
Unit census dates currently displaying for 2020 are indicative and subject to change. Finalised census dates for 2020 will be available from the 1st October 2020.
- demonstrate, through practice, an understanding of key components of creative texts.
- demonstrate a command of sentence-level writing in english, to a standard expected for introductory level study.
- demonstrate attention to the details of editorial polish.
- Reflect critically on aspects of writing craft as executed works of published fiction/creative non-fiction.
|Band||CSP Student Contribution||Full Fee Paying (domestic)||Field of Education|
|1||2020: $835.00||2020: $2,445.00||100705|
Fees for next year will be published in October. The fees above only apply for the year shown.
Please note: international students should refer to this page to get an indicative course cost.
You cannot enrol in this unit as well as the following:
Minor creative work, 750 words (25%), Craft analysis, 1000 words (25%), Major creative work 2000 words (50%)
|Timetable||View the lecture timetable | View the full unit timetable|
Co-op Bookshop links
The University reserves the right to amend or remove courses and unit availabilities, as appropriate.