Placement test may be required to determine proficiency level
HMC219 is designed to further develop competence in intermediate spoken and written Chinese (simplified characters). The unit builds on students’ study in HMC101/XBR119 and HMC102. It introduces new grammar and vocabulary as well as examples of real-world language use to develop their Chinese to an intermediate level.
|Unit name||Chinese 2A|
|Faculty/School||College of Arts, Law and Education
School of Humanities
|Discipline||Global Cultures and Languages|
Dr. Isabel Wang
|Available as student elective?||Yes|
|Location||Study period||Attendance options||Available to|
|Launceston||Semester 1||On-Campus||Off-Campus||International International||Domestic Domestic|
- International students
- Domestic students
Please check that your computer meets the minimum System Requirements if you are attending via Distance/Off-Campus.
Units are offered in attending mode unless otherwise indicated (that is attendance is required at the campus identified). A unit identified as offered by distance, that is there is no requirement for attendance, is identified with a nominal enrolment campus. A unit offered to both attending students and by distance from the same campus is identified as having both modes of study.
Special approval is required for enrolment into TNE Program units.
|Study Period||Start date||Census date||WW date||End date|
* The Final WW Date is the final date from which you can withdraw from the unit without academic penalty, however you will still incur a financial liability (see withdrawal dates explained for more information).
- Compose grammatically correct sentences (correct word order and sentence structure) in both written and verbal communication.
- Converse in Chinese using knowledge and skills acquired on a range of topics involving learned materials.
- Understand the socio-cultural aspects of Chinese language involving learned materials.
- Identify strategies and techniques for independently learning Mandarin Chinese.
|Band||CSP Student Contribution||Full Fee Paying (domestic)||Field of Education|
|1||2020: $835.00||2020: $2,108.00||091515|
Fees for next year will be published in November. The fees above only apply for the year shown.
Please note: international students should refer to this page to get an indicative course cost.
You cannot enrol in this unit as well as the following:
HMC206 AND HMC208
1x1 hr lecture, 4x1 hr tutorial weekly
Task 1: Listening quizzes x 2 (20%)
Task 2: Final listening and speaking exam (20%)
Task 3: Reading and writing quizzes x 3 (30%)
Task 4: Speaking tests x 4 (10%)
Task 5: Final exam (20%)
|Timetable||View the lecture timetable | View the full unit timetable|
Booktopia textbook links
The University reserves the right to amend or remove courses and unit availabilities, as appropriate.