Develops competence in basic spoken and written Japanese. This unit builds on the work you learned in HMJ101. This unit, the second half of introductory Japanese, develops competence in basic spoken and written skills with an emphasis on the interactive use of the language. The follow-up unit HMJ204 will further build on these skills.
|Unit name||Introduction to Japanese 1B|
|Faculty/School||College of Arts, Law and Education
School of Humanities
|Discipline||Global Cultures and Languages|
Dr. Katsuhiko Suganuma
Dr. Katsuhiko Suganuma
|Available as student elective?||Yes|
|Location||Study period||Attendance options||Available to|
|Hobart||Semester 2||On-Campus||Off-Campus||International International||Domestic Domestic|
- International students
- Domestic students
Please check that your computer meets the minimum System Requirements if you are attending via Distance/Off-Campus.
Units are offered in attending mode unless otherwise indicated (that is attendance is required at the campus identified). A unit identified as offered by distance, that is there is no requirement for attendance, is identified with a nominal enrolment campus. A unit offered to both attending students and by distance from the same campus is identified as having both modes of study.
Special approval is required for enrolment into TNE Program units.
|Study Period||Start date||Census date||WW date||End date|
* The Final WW Date is the final date from which you can withdraw from the unit without academic penalty, however you will still incur a financial liability (see withdrawal dates explained for more information).
- Demonstrate an understanding of the basic elements of Japanese grammar - particularly word order and sentence structure.
- Acquire four skills (listening, speaking, reading, and writing) and be able to conduct simple conversation concerning various topics
- Read and write 81 kanji, to read (recognise) 78 kanji components.
- Demonstrate a good sense of cross-cultural communication by exploring the linguistic, historical, and cultural differences between your native language and Japanese.
|Field of Education||Commencing Student Contribution 1||Grandfathered Student Contribution 1||Approved Pathway Course Student Contribution 2||Domestic Full Fee|
1 Please refer here more information on student contribution amounts.
2 Information on eligibility and Approved Pathway courses can be found here
If you have any questions in relation to the fees, please contact UConnect or more information is available on StudyAssist.
Please note: international students should refer to this page to get an indicative course cost.
HMJ101 or XBR115
You cannot enrol in this unit as well as the following:
5 contact hours including 1 hour lecture and 2 x 2-hr tutorials (13 wks)
Task 1: Continuous assessment (35%).
|Timetable||View the lecture timetable | View the full unit timetable|
|Links||Booktopia textbook finder|
The University reserves the right to amend or remove courses and unit availabilities, as appropriate.