Courses & Units
Latin 2: From Learning to Reading HTL261
This unit builds on the study of the ancient Latin language undertaken in HTL101 and HTL102. In it, students will complete the JACT Reading Latin textbook, including the passages of unadapted poetry and prose (Catullus, Cicero, Virgil, Horace).
|Unit name||Latin 2: From Learning to Reading|
|College/School||College of Arts, Law and Education
School of Humanities
|Discipline||History and Classics|
|Coordinator||Doctor Jonathan Wallis|
|Available as an elective?||Yes|
|Delivered By||University of Tasmania|
This unit is currently unavailable.
Please check that your computer meets the minimum System Requirements if you are attending via Distance/Off-Campus.
Units are offered in attending mode unless otherwise indicated (that is attendance is required at the campus identified). A unit identified as offered by distance, that is there is no requirement for attendance, is identified with a nominal enrolment campus. A unit offered to both attending students and by distance from the same campus is identified as having both modes of study.
|Study Period||Start date||Census date||WW date||End date|
* The Final WW Date is the final date from which you can withdraw from the unit without academic penalty, however you will still incur a financial liability (refer to How do I withdraw from a unit? for more information).
Unit census dates currently displaying for 2022 are indicative and subject to change. Finalised census dates for 2022 will be available from the 1st October 2021. Note census date cutoff is 11.59pm AEST (AEDT during October to March).
- Recall English meanings of a prescribed number of Latin words, and be able to translate these English meanings back into Latin;
- Form all Latin declensions and conjugations;
- Identify forms of Latin words by gender, case and number (nouns, pronouns and adjectives) or person, number, tense, voice and mood (verbs);
- Explain usage of forms/syntax in complex Latin sentences;
- Read adapted and unadapted passages of Latin and translate into clear English.
|Field of Education||Commencing Student Contribution 1,3||Grandfathered Student Contribution 1,3||Approved Pathway Course Student Contribution 2,3||Domestic Full Fee 4|
1 Please refer to more information on student contribution amounts.
2 Please refer to more information on eligibility and Approved Pathway courses.
3 Please refer to more information on eligibility for HECS-HELP.
4 Please refer to more information on eligibility for FEE-HELP.
If you have any questions in relation to the fees, please contact UConnect or more information is available on StudyAssist.
Please note: international students should refer to What is an indicative Fee? to get an indicative course cost.
PrerequisitesHTL101 AND HTL102
On campus enrolment
|Assessment||Vocabulary & Paradigm Tests (15%)|Final Exam (50%)|Grammar Exercises (20%)|Translation Exercises (15%)|
|Timetable||View the lecture timetable | View the full unit timetable|
Required readings will be listed in the unit outline prior to the start of classes.
|Links||Booktopia textbook finder|
The University reserves the right to amend or remove courses and unit availabilities, as appropriate.