This unit enables students to develop and refine an individual research topic of their interest, on a project connected to the expertise of a staff member. This is an individual study negotiated with the Honours Coordinator and an academic. Students will meet regularly with an academic expert to develop their approach and complete their written project.
|Unit name||Negotiated Study|
|College/School||College of Arts, Law and Education
School of Humanities
|Discipline||English|Global Cultures and Languages|History and Classics|Philosophy and Gender Studies|
|Coordinator||Doctor Jayne Knight|
|Available as student elective?||Yes|
|Delivered By||University of Tasmania|
|Location||Study period||Attendance options||Available to|
|Hobart||Semester 1||On-Campus||Off-Campus||International International||Domestic Domestic|
- International students
- Domestic students
Please check that your computer meets the minimum System Requirements if you are attending via Distance/Off-Campus.
Units are offered in attending mode unless otherwise indicated (that is attendance is required at the campus identified). A unit identified as offered by distance, that is there is no requirement for attendance, is identified with a nominal enrolment campus. A unit offered to both attending students and by distance from the same campus is identified as having both modes of study.
|Study Period||Start date||Census date||WW date||End date|
* The Final WW Date is the final date from which you can withdraw from the unit without academic penalty, however you will still incur a financial liability (see withdrawal dates explained for more information).
Unit census dates currently displaying for 2022 are indicative and subject to change. Finalised census dates for 2022 will be available from the 1st October 2021.
- Propose and develop a research project negotiated with an academic member of staff
- Apply skills in researching an honours level project
- Identify and analyse the key themes and issues of your research project
- Communicate your research project with sophistication and clarity
|Field of Education||Commencing Student Contribution 1||Grandfathered Student Contribution 1||Approved Pathway Course Student Contribution 2||Domestic Full Fee|
- Available as a Commonwealth Supported Place
- HECS-HELP is available on this unit, depending on your eligibility3
- FEE-HELP is available on this unit, depending on your eligibility4
1 Please refer here more information on student contribution amounts.
2 Information on eligibility and Approved Pathway courses can be found here
3 Please refer here for eligibility for HECS-HELP
4 Please refer here for eligibility for FEE-HELP
Please note: international students should refer to this page to get an indicative course cost.
30 minute fortnightly supervision
|Assessment||Project Proposal, 1,000 words or equivalent (20%)|Writing sample, 1,000 words or equivalent (20%)|Supervision participation (10%)|Research Project 4,000 words or equivalent (50%)|
|Timetable||View the lecture timetable | View the full unit timetable|
Required readings will be listed in the unit outline prior to the start of classes.
|Links||Booktopia textbook finder|
The University reserves the right to amend or remove courses and unit availabilities, as appropriate.