This unit provides clinically focussed content that will enable the student to critically analyse current neurological and neurosurgical theory and practices. Students will apply an evidence based approach to understanding care, diagnostics and management of the patient with neurological conditions such as intracranial lesions and vascular abnormalities.
|Unit name||Neuroscience Nursing 1|
|College/School||College of Health and Medicine
School of Nursing
|Coordinator||Mrs Barbara Lisa Spiteri|
|Available as student elective?||No|
|Delivered By||University of Tasmania|
|Location||Study period||Attendance options||Available to|
- International students
- Domestic students
Please check that your computer meets the minimum System Requirements if you are attending via Distance/Off-Campus.
Units are offered in attending mode unless otherwise indicated (that is attendance is required at the campus identified). A unit identified as offered by distance, that is there is no requirement for attendance, is identified with a nominal enrolment campus. A unit offered to both attending students and by distance from the same campus is identified as having both modes of study.
|Study Period||Start date||Census date||WW date||End date|
* The Final WW Date is the final date from which you can withdraw from the unit without academic penalty, however you will still incur a financial liability (see withdrawal dates explained for more information).
Unit census dates currently displaying for 2022 are indicative and subject to change. Finalised census dates for 2022 will be available from the 1st October 2021.
- Apply knowledge of the biological theories that underpin a range of neuro medical and neurosurgical conditions.
- Critically reflect on the key neuroscience nursing interventions and nursing management of neurological patients.
- Critically analyse evidence-based literature and apply this knowledge to a range of neurological conditions.
|Field of Education||Commencing Student Contribution 1||Grandfathered Student Contribution 1||Approved Pathway Course Student Contribution 2||Domestic Full Fee|
- Available as a Commonwealth Supported Place
- HECS-HELP is available on this unit, depending on your eligibility3
- FEE-HELP is available on this unit, depending on your eligibility4
1 Please refer here more information on student contribution amounts.
2 Information on eligibility and Approved Pathway courses can be found here
3 Please refer here for eligibility for HECS-HELP
4 Please refer here for eligibility for FEE-HELP
Please note: international students should refer to this page to get an indicative course cost.
|Assessment||Quiz (20%)|Enquiry into Practice (40%)|Online Discussions and Summary Paper (40%)|
|Timetable||View the lecture timetable | View the full unit timetable|
Required readings will be listed in the unit outline prior to the start of classes.
Hickey, J 2014, The Clinical Practice of Neurological and Neurosurgical Nursing 7th edn, Lippincott, Williams and Wilkins, USA.
Hickey, J, Strayer, A. L, 2019, The Clinical Practice of Neurological and Neurosurgical Nursing 8th edn, Lippincott, Williams and Wilkins, USA.
|Links||Booktopia textbook finder|
The University reserves the right to amend or remove courses and unit availabilities, as appropriate.