Students are expected to have employment or a student placement in an operating room environment. This unit uses group work and late enrolment may affect your ability to participate actively.
This unit focuses on developing perioperative clinical skills based on ACORN principles of practice. Competency development is supported by, clinical preceptors, clinical educators and academics. Successful completion of this unit enables the student to assess and manage the pre-, intra- and post-operative patient.
|Unit name||Foundations of Perioperative Nursing Practice|
|College/School||College of Health and Medicine
School of Nursing
|Coordinator||Mrs Fiona Newman|
|Available as student elective?||No|
|Delivered By||University of Tasmania|
|Location||Study period||Attendance options||Available to|
- International students
- Domestic students
Please check that your computer meets the minimum System Requirements if you are attending via Distance/Off-Campus.
Units are offered in attending mode unless otherwise indicated (that is attendance is required at the campus identified). A unit identified as offered by distance, that is there is no requirement for attendance, is identified with a nominal enrolment campus. A unit offered to both attending students and by distance from the same campus is identified as having both modes of study.
|Study Period||Start date||Census date||WW date||End date|
* The Final WW Date is the final date from which you can withdraw from the unit without academic penalty, however you will still incur a financial liability (see withdrawal dates explained for more information).
Unit census dates currently displaying for 2022 are indicative and subject to change. Finalised census dates for 2022 will be available from the 1st October 2021.
- Describe safe work practices and potential workplace hazards and within the perioperative setting.
- Discuss patient management priorities during the pre-operative, intraoperative and post-operative phase of general surgery and endoscopic procedures.
- Evaluate and apply the Australian College of Perioperative Nurses (ACORN) Standards for Perioperative Nursing and ACORN Competencies and NMBA professional standards within the perioperative setting.
|Field of Education||Commencing Student Contribution 1||Grandfathered Student Contribution 1||Approved Pathway Course Student Contribution 2||Domestic Full Fee|
- Available as a Commonwealth Supported Place
- HECS-HELP is available on this unit, depending on your eligibility3
- FEE-HELP is available on this unit, depending on your eligibility4
1 Please refer here more information on student contribution amounts.
2 Information on eligibility and Approved Pathway courses can be found here
3 Please refer here for eligibility for HECS-HELP
4 Please refer here for eligibility for FEE-HELP
Please note: international students should refer to this page to get an indicative course cost.
|Assessment||Essay – ACORN Standards (50%)|Clinical Practice Portfolio (50%)|
|Timetable||View the lecture timetable | View the full unit timetable|
Hardcopies are available from the Co-op Bookshop. E-book versions are also available via Amazon, Google Play Books, and the Elsevier website.
Please check ACORNs website for further details on how to purchase ACORN Standards.
|Links||Booktopia textbook finder|
The University reserves the right to amend or remove courses and unit availabilities, as appropriate.